118/120 South First Street

Ask About this Resource
2016 Survey Information

2016 Survey Form 118-120 South First

118/120 South First Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0083
  • Address: 118/120 South First Street
  • Name: Deep East Texas Council of Governments
  • Date: 1900-1910
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 4
  • Lot: 15 and 16
  • Condition: Good; extensively altered facade; could have historic facade underneath.
  • Description: 2-story; brick with stucco; modem brick veneer with aggregate and smooth faced panels at second floor; second floor windows on north side are 1/1 wood double-hung with arched head; inset entry at ground floor – aluminum and glass, narrow inset fixed windows; fragment of a Neoclassical or Victorian facade visible at corner.
  • Significance:  The 1928 City Directory lists the Taylor Wood Building occupied on the first floor by Taylor Hardware Company and C. C. Murray, Optometrist; the second floor was offices occupied by Littlejohn and Abnes, insurance, Retail Merchants Association, T. A. Taylor, physician, Texas Forest Service, Division of Forest Protection, and J. P. Hunter, doctor.