113 South First Street

Ask About this Resource
2016 Survey Information

2016 Survey Form 113 South First

113 South First Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0078
  • Address: 113 South First Street
  • Name: Pines Theatre
  • Date: 1920s
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 10
  • Lot: North half of lots 17, 18, 19, 10, [20], 21, 22, 23, 24, Account #3750-388-010-018-02.
  • Condition: Fair
  • Description: 2-story; masonry construction with stucco and brick veneer at first floor; rectangular plan 3-bay facade with central inset entry; facade dominated by the theatre marquee – stepped convex metal panels with neon sign reading “Pines,” flanked by large green floral panels with yellow neon tubing outline, projecting back lit panels with announcements over the entry; 2 pairs of wood double doors with square glass lights; semi-circular ticket booth with vertical convex metal sheathing; northwest corner of the building is Jo’s Beauty Salon with wood frame display window, single wood and glass entry door, aluminum canopy; secondary theatre entry on south end, inset with wood door.  The interiors of the theatre are virtually intact including the ticket booth, billing display, stage, wooden folding seats, camera, balcony, powder room, concessions area, and ceilings.  Ceiling fans have been added to the interior in the seating area.
  • Significance: The 1908 Sanborn Fire insurance Map shows a brick structure; the 1927 map shows a 2-story brick movie theatre. The 1928 directory shows the Pines Moving Pictures, East Texas Theatres, Inc.; the 1937 listing is the same.  In 1935 Lufkin Amusement Company sold the property to East Texas Theatres, Inc., E. L Kurth, President (Vol 38, P. 371).  In 1950 East Texas Theatres sold the property to T. L. Laird (Vol. F, P. 162).  The structure is no longer being utilized as a movie theatre; it is currently being operated by a religious organization as a noon soup kitchen and revival center.  It is an excellent example of an early movie theatre with virtually all the interior detailing intact.  It is nominated to the National Register. The significance is in architecture and theatre. It is the only remaining example of an early downtown Art Modern movie theatre in Lufkin. [2014 Note: Listed in 1915 and 1922 Sanborn Maps.]