Temple/White Mop and Broom Factory

Ask About this Resource
Temple/White Mop and Broom Factory 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-1012
  • Address: 000 Temple Eastex Plant
  • Name:  Temple/White Mop and Broom Factory
  • Date:  1938
  • Town: Diboll
  • Description: 3-story frame with 117 frame siding, post and beam construction; gable sheet metal roof pierced by clear story windows at 2nd floor and metal cyclone at crest of roof, which drew air and sawdust from the interior of the structure. Extensive shed area, approximately the same length and width of the building on south facade.  Sliding doors on cast iron tracks lead from shed into building.  Early sprinkling system was installed before World War II.  Railroad tracks run along the west facade.  The interior has a single vaulted ceiling; it is divided into four sections; windows are steel with awnings insets.  There are 6 to 7 on each facade.  Much of the old machinery, carts, and dollys are still intact.  There are also a large number of modern machines.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Industrial; Original Use:  Industrial; Present Use:  Storage]
  • Significance:  Constructed for the Temple-White Company, organized by H. B. White, H. G. Temple, and H. C. White in February 1939, to manufacture broom and mop handles. The plant was soon producing 42,000 handles a day.  The company officers were H. B. White, president; H. G. Temple, vice-president; and H. C. White, secretary-treasurer. A. R. Weber was the plant superintendent.  The plant was a major source of jobs during the late 1930s.  it helped to bring the area out of the Great Depression. Several residences in Diboll have been associated as worker housing associated with the mop and broom factory.  Workers were transferred from other White enterprises into Diboll from Louisiana.  Should be nominated to the National Register in 1988 when it reaches 50 years of age.  The significance is industry.