Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church & School & Cemetery

Ask About this Resource
Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church & School & Cemetery 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-1003
  • Address: Rural, Highway 58
  • Name:  Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church & School & Cemetery
  • Date: 1870s
  • Town: Diboll
  • Condition:  Good; some alterations.
  • Description: 1-story frame with ell plan; composition gable roof; beveled wood siding; windows are diamond-paned with dark screen covering; gable roof porch supported by brick columns; steeple at roof ridgeline; double paneled doors; pier and beam foundation.  
  • Significance:  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark; one-teacher school, ceased operating as a school before 1900; organized in 1872 by past member of Lamberts Chapel Church; Pine Grove School had 19 scholastics and a budget of $161.30 in 1885; trustees were George Stovall, W. M. Spring, and W. R. Conner; teacher in 1886 was G. M. Spring.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular; Original Use:  Church and School; Present Use:  Church]