Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church

Ask About this Resource
Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-1002
  • Address: Highway 58, South 2 Miles
  • Name:  Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church
  • Date: 1903
  • Town: Diboll
  • Condition: Demolished; archaeological site.
  • Description: School was located in clearing southwest of house; 1-story frame, one-teacher, grades 1-7; building torn down ca. 1942 by Therman Strain; Church was west of house; well has three-foot stucco neck with U-shaped rest; well dug circa 1920s; spring on site now has wellhouse; spring was cased with hollow tree.  There is no structure currently on the site.
  • Significance:  Site of Olive School; dropped below twenty students after 1932, so moved to Beulah School; Thelma Hwkins was last teacher; Walker has records back to 1903; also site of church which was used for a while as a school; earlier log school was located nearby on Dry Creek.  [11986 Notes:  Original Use:  School (Now Demolished); Present Use:  Residence, Modern]