Ryan Chapel – Road 2497 at Rd 307

Ask About this Resource
Ryan Chapel – Road 2497 at Rd 307 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-0980
  • Address: Ryan Chapel – Road 2497 at Rd 307
  • Name: Ryan Chapel Church/Cemetery
  • Date: 1938
  • Architect/Builder: L. W. Snelson
  • Town: Diboll
  • Block: Thos. Quevedo Abstract, Tract 135, 7.6 acres, Account #0039-107-135-000-00.
  • Condition: Good
  • Description: 1-story; wood frame with lumber milled to resemble logs; concrete block foundation; originally a T-plan, now a cross plan with addition of classrooms; gable roof with composition shingles, extended rafter ends, brackets, belfry with hip roof, steeple added 1960s; central entry arched, two side entries, wood doors; windows 6/6 wood double-hung with colored obscured glass, some windows with a cross in contrasting colored glass.  Interior — the pulpit was built by Mr. Hamner of Diboll, interior walls of knotty pine paneling with wainscot, acoustic ceiling tiles added at a later date; altar area remodeled about 1974; outhouses on grounds date back to 1948 or earlier; the church is surrounded by pine trees; Ryan Chapel Cemetery is adjacent to the church on the west, graves date back to the 1830s.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Craftsman with Gothic Influences]
  • Significance:  Church organized in 1866; a 1984 addition at rear is compatible with original structure; each of the previous three churches torn down for the congregation’s expansion; second church two entry doors — one for men, one for women; the church also served as a school as early as 1885 which was later incorporated into the Burke district; third church was dismantled in 1949 and the lumber was used to build the home of Mr. & Mrs. Charles Weeks; the building had 8 x 8 sills.  Entry doors are not consistent with the Craftsman style.  If the congregation would consider replacing the current doors the structure could be reconsidered for National Register with architecture as the area of significance in 1988, when it is 50 years old.