Piney Ridge Hunt Club

Contact An Agent
Piney Ridge Hunt Club 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0858
  • Address: On county road south of Highway 103 near Neches River
  •  Name: Alex Chancy, Penn Farm, Piney Ridge Hunt Club
  • Date: 1910s-20s
  • Block: David McCoy Tract #9, 1226.2 acres, Account # 0027-021-009-000-00
  • Condition: Good
  • Description: 1-story; ell plan with rectangular addition; clipped gable roof on original building, composition shingles, extended rafter ends; inset porch; square brick columns; multipaned glass and wood entry; windows 6/6 wood double-hung; brick chimney; low brick wall at juncture of two points of house; horizontal wood siding; gazebo building at rear on hill overlooking river bottoms; large red oak tree, pin oak tree.
  • Significance: The farm was originally owned by Alex Chancy. After the Civil War, he farmed several hundred acres on the farm, located in the rich bottom land of the Neches River. The Ewing farm, nearby had a large saw mill and was also in operation after the Civil War. Elam, Claude, and Tom Penn purchased it from Chancy in 1932. In 1939, members of the family leased 400 acres to the Pine Island Hunting and Fishing Club. The house is currently utilized as the club house. Angelina County Deed records, Volume 92 Page 64, dated July 29, 1939, gives a complete description of the property.