466 Jefferson Avenue

466 Jefferson Avenue Photographs
466 Jefferson Avenue 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0366
  • Address: 466 Jefferson Avenue
  • Name: Dr. Edward Percy
  • Date: 1900
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: JL Quinalty, Abstract 40
  • Lot: Tract 105
  • Condition: Good
  • Description: 1-story; wood frame with horizontal board siding; brick pier foundation with brick skirt; irregular plan; intersecting gable roofs with composition shingles, interior brick chimney ; fishscale shingles at front gable end; gallery porch across front with boxed wood columns, plain wood railing, fretwork and floral brackets between columns; wood entry door with large oval leaded glass light, flanked by Doric wood pilasters; windows across front are oversized 4/1 double-hung, 2/2 wood double-hung on east; original house was an ell plan with sun porch and possible front entry on east; sun porch was enclosed in 1950s; some original woodwork and two back-to-back fireplace remaining; additions to house made in 1920s, 1940s, 1950s,; large garage at rear, probably not original.
  • Significance:  Street ran diagonally to east side, prior to 1913; purchased in 1947 by Paul Abney’s parents. Percy was associated with the Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company, now Lufkin Industries, Inc. The 1928 directory listed the structure as 512 Jefferson, the residence of Archie E. and Birdie Percy, with Edward Percy. In 1913 W. C. Trout had opened Jefferson Street. The 1937 directory lists Arch E. and Betty Percy; he was the Superintendent of Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company; the address had changed to 466 Jefferson. The 1946-1947 directory lists the residence of Dixon F. and Elsie Abney; he was associated with Abney and Medford Hardware. It is nominated to the National Register. Since there are no other historic structures associated with the Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company or Lufkin Industries, the significance is in the areas of commerce, industry, and architecture.

Return to Lufkin/ Return to ACHC Historic Survey