110 Forest Park Blvd.

Contact An Agent
110 Forest Park Blvd. 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0277
  • Address: 110 Forest Park Blvd.
  • Name: Texas Highway Department Complex
  • Date: 1935
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: Fairchild Boynton Addition, Block 1
  • Lot: 1-12 and J. L. Quinalty, Abstract 40, Tracts 6 (1.09 acres) and 7 (1.31 acres), Account #0040-385-006-000-00, -0040-385-007-000-00, and 040-385-008-000-00.
  • Architect/Builder:  E. V. Manning
  • Condition: Good
  • Description: Four buildings which appear to have been built in the 1930s: (1) 2-story offices; (2) equipment or machine shop; (3) caretaker house/offices; (4) large storage/equipment building; landscaped grounds with rusticated stone gate post at entrance; fish pond with foot bridge; stone fence on south; picnic tables, large pine and oak trees; all buildings constructed of a pink-tan brick.  Building 1: 2-story; load-bearing brick; brick foundation with concrete water table course; symmetrical rectangular plan; hip roof with composition shingles; windows 1/1 wood double‑hung, arranged symmetrically, jack arch and keystone head, concrete sill; extended 1-story entry portico with cast stone or concrete faceted parapet; telescoping entry, double entry doors wood in a geometric wheel and vertical pattern with multipaned glass lights Building 2: Equipment building and offices: one-story; brick veneer; rectangular plan; hip roof with composition shingles; 1/1 wood double-hung windows with soldier course head, header course sill; wood-paneled garage doors; two wood entry doors. Building 3: Caretaker house/traffic department: 1-story; brick veneer; rectangular plan; concrete foundation; hip roof with composition shingles; gable roof cover over entry, supported on metal flared brackets, wood entry door with glass (modern); windows 1/1 wood double-hung with soldier course head; header course sill; symmetrical placement of windows. Building 4: 1-story with very high ceiling (15-20 ft); brick veneer; rectangular plan; gable roof with stepped parapet on front; loading entries on north and west; steel frame multipaned glass windows with soldier course header, concrete sill.
  • Significance:  Constructed by the CCC ca. 1936.  Nominated to the National Register.  Significance is architecture and landscape.  Good example of rustic landscaping in foot bridges and grounds.  Plaque on the site reads “This site was donated to the State Highway Department of Texas for Division Headquarters by A. L. Boynton, Mrs. I. D. Fairchild, M.M. Boynton, and John S. Redditt.”  The donation was completed on part of the current 10 acre site in 1934.  The Division 11 Office was moved from Beaumont to Lufkin on March 6, 1925.  T.E. Hufman was the resident district engineer in 1937.  Division 11 included 14 counties, Angelina, Nacogdoches, Houston, Jasper, Newton, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, Jefferson, Orange, and Hardin.  Nominated to the National Register.  The significance is architecture and transportation.