101 West Shepherd Avenue

Contact An Agent
101 West Shepherd Avenue 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0067
  • Address: 101 West Shepherd Avenue
  • Name: The Angelina House
  • Date: 1922
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 5
  • Lot: 8-12
  • Condition: Good; altered by HVAC vents under replacement windows, mansard canopy at 1st floor.
  • Description: 5-story; masonry structure with brick veneer; rectangular plan; 5-bay facade articulated by vertical bands of raised brick; flat roof with corbeled string course and brackets below the parapet, raised geometric brick ornamentation with small tiles; string course below fifth and second floor windows; first floor display windows with bronze anodized aluminum frame, aluminum frame (modern) entry door on north under mansard canopy (modern); canopy rests upon paired brick columns; secondary entry on east.  A brick curtain wall was added in 1951.  [1986 Notes:  Original Use:  Hotel; Present Use:  Apartments]
  • Significance: The 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows the fireproof Angelina Hotel.  Built in 1922 with 110 rooms.  Evard Fetty was the hotel’s first manager and served from 1922 until 1932 when he was succeeded by J. W. Mitchell.  The hotel’s early owners were F. R. Hodges, A. J. Tullos, and Eli and Sam Wiener (also associated with the Angelina County Lumber Company at Keltys).  The hotel was later sold to a group headed by J. H. Kurth, Jr., (also associated with the Angelina County Lumber Company at Keltys).  During the 1960s it was sold to a group headed by Murphy George of Lufkin.  The hotel and its banquet facilities were utilized by area companies for banquets and meetings.  It has now been converted into a residence hotel for older citizens. [2014 Note: Listed in 1922 Sanborn Map.]