Renfro Prairie, Lay, Beulah School #38, & Beulah Congregational Church

Ask About this Resource
Renfro Prairie, Lay, Beulah School #38, & Beulah Congregational Church 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-1001
  • Address: Rural, FM 58
  • Name:  Renfro Prairie, Lay, Beulah School #38, & Beulah Congregational Church
  • Date: 1935
  • Town: Diboll
  • Condition: Good – Fair; altered ca. 1960 to create community school; front bay was added.
  • Description: Two structures: (1) School is a 1-story frame with ell plan; gable composition roof; applied siding; windows are 6/6/ wood double-hung; three doors.  (2) Church is 1-story frame with lap wood siding; hip composition roof with extended boxed eaves; projecting entry with porch also has hip roof and open sides; wood steps; double doors; windows are 2/2 wood double-hung; brick pier and beam foundation; interior is divided into three sections with two aisles; wood benches, chamfered sanctuary has podium for preacher; modern drop ceilings, wood wainscot.
  • Significance:  Old school building was nearly blown away by tornado in 1924; church was used as a school for one year; Harold Walker made a speech here as county superintendent in 1928; it was a two-teacher school; school population moved to Diboll ca. 1960s; church served as a voting place; Renfro Prairie was an early cotton farming community; much of the land was owned by the East Texas State Representative John Renfro; later became known as the Lay Community and is presently known as the Beulah Community; Arthur Temple helped renovate the school building into a community center.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular School; Original Use:  School and Church; Present Use:  Community Center and Church]