302 South Bynum Street

Ask About this Resource
302 South Bynum Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0152
  • Address: 302 South Bynum Street
  • Name: C. W. Archie Perry Residence
  • Date: 1935
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: J. L. Quinalty, Abstract 40
  • Lot: Tract 99, 0.62 acres, Account #0040-389-099-000-00.
  • Condition: Good; later additions at rear.
  • Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with brick veneer; brick foundation; intersecting steep gable roofs with hipped gables, composition shingles; irregular U-plan; broken pediment entry with spiral columns, elliptical arched door with quatrefoil light; ornamental header courses of brick around windows, below eaves; elliptical arch picture window with sunburst transom over casement windows on southeast and south corner, spiral columns supporting the arch are inside the window area; windows are wood double-hung with horizontal muntins and casements with horizontal muntins; small arched window at front gable end; exterior chimney on north with arched panel and herringbone-patterned brick; small extended bay with castellated parapet on north; wrought iron balconies at upper floor windows on south; porte cochere closed with wrought iron balconies at upper floor windows on south; porte cochere closed with wrought iron fencing; very fine roughcut stone fence with beaded mortar joints on east and west of grounds; two-story garage at rear.
  • Significance:  Very good example of style.  The 1937 City Directory lists C. W. Archie Perry, the director of Perry Brothers as the occupant.  The 1946 and 1947 directories list Jewel Perry. The Perry family founded the variety store chain of Perry Brothers.  Perry Brothers first store was established in Center, Texas, in 1918 they began operating as a partnership, in 1924 the company incorporated and had their offices in Lufkin.  Nominated to the National Register.  The areas of significance are architecture and commerce.