120 North First Street

Ask About this Resource
120 North First Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0073
  • Address: 120 North First Street
  • Name: W. M. Glenn Building
  • Date: 1924
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 9
  • Lot: South 1/2 of lots 1 & 2, Account #3570-388-009-001-02
  • Condition: Good – Fair
  • Description: 2-story; load-bearing masonry with brick veneer and beige ceramic tile on front facade, stucco on sides; rectangular plan; 3-bay facade with central inset entry, side entry to upstairs on northwest corner; flat roof with parapet, pilasters extend from base beyond the parapet, central bay has a pedimented parapet with cast stone key above and flagpole; inset panels for signage in each bay, central bay has cast stone plaque with W. M. Glenn Co. 1924 on it; bank of paired windows across the front – 9/9 wood double-hung with soldier course header; first floor has large aluminum frame display windows with ceramic tile surround and apron, roll canvas awning above windows in deteriorated condition, aluminum frame double door entry with side lights and transom light; painted mural on north side, exposed brick on south alley side, 9/9 and 6/6 wood windows.
  • Significance: The 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows a fireproof 2-story structure with radio broadcasting station on second floor.  The 1928 Directory lists W. M. Glenn Furniture Co.  An Angelina County Mechanic Lien, Volume 3, June 22, 1929, list a paving contract between Scott Shambaugh and W. M. Glenn & Co.  Possibly this was for the sidewalk in the front of the structure.  In recent years it has been the Penny’s Retail Store.  Good example of style; minor renovations to awning lights and facade could make it eligible for National Register.