314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street

Ask About this Resource
314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0065
  • Address: 314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street
  • Name: Central Fire Station
  • Date: 1929
  • Architect: Shirley Simons
  • Builder: Campbell & White
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 22
  • Lot: 3, 4, 5 and north 1/2 of 6, Account #3570-388-022-004-00.
  • Condition: Good; new plumbing and windows.
  • Description: 2-story brick load-bearing rectangular plan; 3-bay articulated by three keyed arched garage door openings; second floor windows have keyed flat arch with replacement aluminum windows; two additional arched openings on either side, one has concrete plaque with building information; molded concrete cornice, flat roof.
  • Significance: Have 1916 Ford with foam tank mixed with water, 4-cylinder engine, first motorized engine for fire truck; this is #1 Lufkin Fire Engine in fire station; used for parades.  Nominated to the National Register as one of the most significant structures designed by east Texas architect Shirley Simons.  It is the only structure in the downtown area nominated to the National Register that is associated with city government.  The significance is in the areas of architecture and government.