304 East Howe Street

Ask About this Resource
304 East Howe 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: L-0346
  • Address: 304 East Howe Street
  • Name: Houston Brookshire Residence
  • Date: 1930-1937
  • Town: Lufkin
  • Block: 38
  • Lot: 1, Account #3570-388-038-001-00.
  • Architect/Builder:  Shirley Simons
  • Condition: Excellent
  • Description: 2-story masonry with brick veneer; composition hip and gable roof pierced by dormer; H-plan; two projecting gables, one has cast concrete crest and large brick chimney; recessed entry has double doors with diamond panes and another crest; windows are 6/6 double-hung wood and wood casement; enclosed frame patio on east facade; garage at rear.
  • Significance:  Designed for Houston Brookshire by local architect, Shirley Simons.  Brookshire was one of 10 Brookshire brothers and sisters who founded the Brookshire Brothers grocery store chain.  The Brookshire brothers worked as farmers, ranchers, and teachers until they decided to pool their money and efforts in the grocery business.  Their first store opened in 1921 on the Angelina County courthouse square.  It is one of the largest grocery chains in East Texas and Louisiana.  Houston Brookshire was the second son of Permenas Jasper and his second wife Francis Abigail Brazil.  He married Lelia Puyear.  The 1937 city directory lists this address as the residence of H. Brookshire. Nominated to the National Register.  The areas of significance are architecture and commerce.