113 South First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 113 South First 113 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0078 Address: 113 South First Street Name: Pines Theatre Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: North half of lots 17, 18, 19, 10, [20], 21, 22, 23, 24, Account #3750-388-010-018-02. Condition: Fair Description: 2-story; masonry construction with stucco and brick veneer at first floor; rectangular plan 3-bay facade with central inset entry; facade dominated by the theatre marquee – stepped convex metal panels with neon sign reading “Pines,” flanked by large green floral panels with yellow neon tubing outline, projecting back lit panels with announcements over the entry; 2 pairs of wood double doors with square glass lights; semi-circular ticket booth with vertical convex metal sheathing; northwest corner of the building is Jo’s Beauty Salon with wood frame display window, single wood and glass entry door, aluminum canopy; secondary theatre entry on south end, inset with wood door.  The interiors of the theatre are virtually intact including the ticket booth, billing display, stage, wooden folding seats, camera, balcony, powder room, concessions area, and ceilings.  Ceiling fans have been added to the interior in the seating area. Significance: The 1908 Sanborn Fire insurance Map shows a brick structure; the 1927 map shows a 2-story brick movie theatre. The 1928 directory shows the Pines Moving Pictures, East Texas Theatres, Inc.; the 1937 listing is the same.  In 1935 Lufkin...

view the listing

103/105 South First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 103-105 South First 103/105 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0077 Address: 103/105 South First Street Name: C. A. Pate Building (Lee’s) Date: 1924 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: North 90 feet of lots 1 and 2; Account #3570-388-010-001-02. Condition: Good; most of second floor windows boarded; storefront altered. Description: 2-story; masonry with polychrome brick veneer; rectangular plan, 3-bay facade with central entry; flat roof, parapet with tile coping; raised header and soldier course ornamentation above the second story windows, above a centered arched entry door with C. A. Pate dedication plaque with diagonal brickwork below, pedimented brickwork above a circular light above the single entry door with arched transom; the multipaned wood door is boarded; three shop storefronts at first floor: (1) corner storefront is stucco with wood frame display windows and inset double wood doors; (2) altered aluminum frame display windows with aquamarine carrara glass surround, boxed canopy above with opaque fiberglass panels, inset diagonal aluminum and glass entry door; (3) altered aluminum frame display windows with dark blue and beige carrara glass surround, inset double entry doors of glass, boxed canopy with opaque fiberglass panels. Significance:  Similar to 104 Lufkin Ave. in masonry detailing.  The 1928 City Directory lists 103 as Jennings Auto Supply, 105 as First Manes Co. Clothing, and 107 as Pines Barber Shop; the upstairs is listed as offices for C. A. Pate...

view the listing

213 North First Street

213 North First Street  1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0075 Address: 213 North First Street Name: Collmorgen’s Delicatessen/ Piney Woods, Inc. Date: 1907 Town: Lufkin Block: 2 Lot: 5 and 6 Architect/Builder:  Henderson, Shearer, Miller Condition: Good; altered storefront; windows closed on sides; partially filled at second floor front. Description: 2-story; load-bearing brick with brick veneer on front, stucco on sides; brick foundation; rectangular plan; flat roof with parapet, sheet metal coping on front, brick coping on sides; two-bay facade with 6/6 wood windows on first floor; flat wood frame awning across front; double aluminum and glass entry doors; second story windows that have been filled in have an arched head. Significance:  On August 16, 1907, W. A. and Lena Collmorgan gave a Mechanic Lien to the construction firm of Henderson, Shearer, and Miller for the construction of a brick building, part of it 1-story (at the rear), part of it 2-story.  The amount of the lien was $5,200.00.  The structure was to be constructed of brick with composition roofing and plastered throughout.  It was to be completed by November 1907.  The 1908 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 3) shows a 2-story brick structure.  The 1928 City Directory lists Collmorgan’s Delicatessen Market and...

view the listing

120 North First Street

120 North First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0073 Address: 120 North First Street Name: W. M. Glenn Building Date: 1924 Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: South 1/2 of lots 1 & 2, Account #3570-388-009-001-02 Condition: Good – Fair Description: 2-story; load-bearing masonry with brick veneer and beige ceramic tile on front facade, stucco on sides; rectangular plan; 3-bay facade with central inset entry, side entry to upstairs on northwest corner; flat roof with parapet, pilasters extend from base beyond the parapet, central bay has a pedimented parapet with cast stone key above and flagpole; inset panels for signage in each bay, central bay has cast stone plaque with W. M. Glenn Co. 1924 on it; bank of paired windows across the front – 9/9 wood double-hung with soldier course header; first floor has large aluminum frame display windows with ceramic tile surround and apron, roll canvas awning above windows in deteriorated condition, aluminum frame double door entry with side lights and transom light; painted mural on north side, exposed brick on south alley side, 9/9 and 6/6 wood windows. Significance: The 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows a fireproof 2-story structure with radio broadcasting station on second floor.  The 1928 Directory lists W. M. Glenn Furniture Co.  An Angelina County Mechanic Lien, Volume 3, June 22, 1929, list a paving contract between Scott Shambaugh and W. M. Glenn & Co.  Possibly this was for the...

view the listing

112 North First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 112 North First 112 North First Street Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0072 Address: 112 North First Street Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: North 1/2 of lots 23-24, Account #3570-388-009-023-01 Condition: Fair; storefront altered with sheet metal sheathing. Description: 2-story; load-bearing brick with brick veneer on front; rectangular plan with inset central entry, 1-bay facade; flat roof with pedimented parapet broken by vertical cap at the center and on each side, diamond-patterned brickwork above a corbeled cornice, stringer courses of contrasting colored brickwork below the cornice and above and below the second story windows; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung on front, 2/2 double-hung on north and south sides; first floor storefront altered by sheet metal sheathing; aluminum frame display windows and central entry door flanked by side lights.  [1986 Notes:  Original Use:  Commercial; Present Use:  For Sale, Vacant] Significance:  Good example of early 20th century commercial with Neo-Classical...

view the listing

101 North First Street

101 North First Street 2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 101 North First 101 North First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0071 Address: 101 North First Street Name: Star Drug/Saska Studio & Gallery Date: 1904 Town: Lufkin Block: 3 Lot: P Condition: Good; altered by replacement windows, board and batten sheathing on first floor. Description: 2-story; masonry with stucco on second floor, board and batten on first floor, rectangular plan on the corner; flat roof, parapet with clay tile coping, plain entablature above second floor and first floor; 1-bay facade on south, 2-bay facade on east, with cast iron columns; two inset entries on east, wood doors with large rectangular glass lights; first floor storefront altered – fixed glass set in wood frames wrap around the corner, transom lights above; tall second floor windows ­- fixed glass and two 1/1 aluminum double-hung, raised keystone above each window. Significance:  The 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows a 2-story brick structure from construction plans.  The 1928 City Directory lists Burke’s Drug Store.  The structure has been occupied by Star Drug Store, Burke’s Drug Store, by 1927, Murrell’s Pharmacy, Thompson Prescription Pharmacy, Estes-TV Audio and Appliance Center, and currently by the Saska Studio and Gallery.  [2014 Note: Listed in 1908, 1915, and 1922 Sanborn...

view the listing

119 West Shepherd Avenue

119 West Shepherd Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0068 Address: 119 West Shepherd Avenue Name: Star Furniture Co. (William Glenn Furniture) Date: 1922 Town: Lufkin Block: 5 Lot: 1 & 2 Condition: Good; extensively altered. Description: 2-story; masonry with stucco; rectangular plan; 3-bay facade with window openings altered – inset wood frame multipaned windows at second floor; inset entry and inset display windows at first floor, stepped parapet, flat...

view the listing

208 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 208 East Lufkin 208 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0063 Address: 208 East Lufkin Avenue Name: Don Brazil, Atty. Town: Lufkin Block: 16 Lot: 5 Condition: Good – Fair; extensively altered. Description: 2-story masonry stuccoed; wood vertical and brick applied front with aluminum awning, modern storefront...

view the listing

206 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 206 East Lufkin 206 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0062 Address: 206 East Lufkin Avenue Name: Security Loans Date: 1904 Town: Lufkin Block: 16 Lot: 4 Condition:  Good – Fair; some alterations. Description: 2-story masonry rectangular plan, stuccoed facade, modern plate glass and aluminum storefront, depending aluminum awning; two cast iron pilasters and one threshold; second floor has three 1/1 double-hung windows, entry to second floor on west side; awning lights filled in. Significance:  The 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 3) shows a brick structure. The 1928 City Directory shows West Printing Company on the first floor, Maccabees, Knights of Pythias Hall and International Order of Foresters...

view the listing

123 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 123 East Lufkin 123 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0060 Address: 123 East Lufkin Avenue Name: John Ross Kay, Atty. Date: 1900 Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: 13 Condition: Good; extensively altered, facade has been sheathed in brick. Description: 2-story masonry with applied with new brick facade; east wall has been sandblasted ; three bays articulated by recessed original 2/2 double-hung windows with green fabric awnings; two arched doorways on east facade; first floor has altered entry. Significance:  The 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 2) shows a 2-story brick structure used as a drugstore; was used as the Masonic Lodge.  The 1928 City Directory lists W. H. and C. C. Hicks...

view the listing

118/120 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 118-120 East Lufkin 118/120 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0056 Address: 118/120 East Lufkin Avenue (Frankie’s Wig Boutique, Republic Finance, East Texas) Name: Harrell Building Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: 10, E. 24.5 feet of Lot 10, no 0.5 feet of Lot 11, Account #3570-388-010-010-00. Condition: Good; all windows replaced with set-in glass. Description: 2-story masonry with brick facade; rectangular plan; two bays articulated by two pairs of double-hung windows; decorative brickwork at cornice; marble plaque reads “Harrell Building,” depending frame awning; awning lights intact; doorway to second story on west side; recessed entries; original display areas. Significance:  The 1928 City Directory lists Peavy Bros. Dry goods and McMullen & Franklin Millinery at 116-118 E. Lufkin, 120 was the Avenue Barber Shop, 120-124 was Harrell Transfer and C. H. Harrell Filling Station; the 1937 City Directory lists 118 as Lufkin Publishing Company and Lufkin Daily News, 120 was Western Auto Association...

view the listing

117 East Lufkin Avenue

 2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 117 East Lufkin 117 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0055 Address: 117 East Lufkin Avenue (Campbell Furniture Company) Name: Cassels, Hoglund & Clark, Attys. Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: 16 Architect/Builder:  Shirley Simons Condition: Good; some alterations, part of cornice and finials removed; recently renovated. Description: 2-story masonry with cast ornamentation at cornice, around central window, between floors; pairs of classical pilasters on either side of facade; string course between floors reads “Campbell Furniture Company,” awning lights replaced by set-in glass; green striped awnings, recessed entry.  [1986 Note:  Original Use: Retail; Present Use: Retail] Significance:  The 1915 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 3) shows a masonry structure with saddlery and shoe repair.  That structure would have been demolished to construct the present structure.  The structure is a good example of the classical revival style; however, renovations and alterations have not been consistent with the original architectural style.  If inconsistent renovations are reversed and original integrity is restored should be reconsidered for National...

view the listing

116 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 116 East Lufkin 116 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0054 Address: 116 East Lufkin Avenue Name: Craig Furniture & Appliance Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: 8 & 9 Condition: Good; extensively altered. Description: 2-story masonry rectangular plan; aluminum storefront with modern Fackwerk applied motif; aluminum multipaned fixed windows. Significance:  The 1908 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 2) shows a frame livery stable on this site. The 1928 City Directory lists Peavy Brothers Dry Goods and McMullen and Franklin,...

view the listing

113 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 113 East Lufkin 113 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0051 Address: 113 East Lufkin Avenue Date: 1904-1908 Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: 18 Condition: Good Description: 2-story masonry with rectangular plan, brick facade has ornamental patterns and string course; modern plate glass and aluminum storefront, depending aluminum awning and awning lights filled in; three bays articulated by three 12/1 wood double-hung windows.  [1986 Note:  Original Use:  Retail; Present Use:  Vacant] Significance:  The 1908 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 3) shows a 2-story brick structure used as a furniture store.  In 1928 the City Directory lists the structure as the Fairchild Building, Herrinton Drug Store was on the first floor, and L. D. Fairchild and John S. Reditt, lawyers, were on the second...

view the listing

110 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 110 East Lufkin 110 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0049 Address: 110 East Lufkin Avenue Name:  John M. Cely Date: 1904 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: 5 Condition: Good; first floor extensively altered. Description: 2-story masonry, rectangular plan, 3-bay stuccoed facade; first floor is covered with painted wood exterior paneling, 2-bay windows with cedar shakes, double entry door, two cast iron pilasters with star and leaf motifs; second floor has three arched windows, replacement steel windows and cast iron threshold. Significance:  The 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 3) shows a brick...

view the listing

104 West Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 104 West Lufkin 104 West Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0043 Address: 104 West Lufkin Avenue Name: Lovett’s Date: 1900 Town: Lufkin Block: 3 Lot: R & Q Condition: Good; facade has been altered. Description: 2-story masonry with dark red brick on the south facade and stuccoed on the west facade; two bays articulated by two sets of paired windows with modern shutters on the second floor; west facade has six arched windows with brick lintel; main facade has cedar shake awning over modern storefront. Significance:  An armed services recruiter was in this building; the 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (Sheet 2) shows a 2-story brick structure; the east side was a barber, the west side was a printing...

view the listing

121 East Lufkin Avenue

121 East Lufkin Avenue  1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0100 Address: 121 East Lufkin Street [Avenue] Name: Body Fitness Shop Date: 1901 Architect/Builder:  D. A. Ballew Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: 14, Account #3570-388-009-0400 Condition: Good Description: 2-story masonry, rectangular plan; brick facade with ornamental details; two retail spaces with common wall; space on west facade is well-preserved with original recessed entry, awning lights depending canvas awning; space on east is painted with aluminum and glass modern storefront and metal depending awning; west side has pressed metal ceiling and original display cases. Built as two separate structures with identical floor plan and facade; also have different legal descriptions and ownership; therefore considered as two separate structures, rather than single.  Campbell Furniture Company; the 1937 directory lists Economy Store.  On March 13, 1901, W. A. Abney et al, T. W. Largent and S. P. Cunningham gave a Mechanic Lien to D. A. Ballew for construction of a two brick storehouses, to front on Lufkin Avenue, extend back 70 feet, two-story height, 70 feet deep, 25 feet wide, built upon the same plan and specifications as the brick building known as Kerr Brick Building (believed to have been demolished), exceptions:  upstairs shall be one large room, doors the same as addition to L. W. Wettermark Bank (demolished, was on the northeast corner of Lufkin and First); dividing wall 13″ thick downstairs, plastered; wooden partition dividing wall upstairs...

view the listing

115 East Frank Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 115 East Frank 115 East Frank Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0017 Address: 115 East Frank Street Date: 1900 Town: Lufkin Block: 8 Lot: 11 and 12 Condition: Good; altered by board and batten sheathing on front; aluminum replacement windows. Description: 2-story; load-bearing brick; rectangular plan; flat roof; 1-bay facade with central garage overhead door, entry door adjacent; square aluminum slider windows at second floor. Significance:  The 1928 City Directory lists the address as...

view the listing

108/112 West Frank Street

 108/112 West Frank Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0013 Address: 108/112 West Frank Street Name: Time Shop Date: 1910s Town: Lufkin Block: 2 Lot: South half of lots 9 & 10 Condition: Good – Fair; Altered Description: 2-story masonry with brick veneer below depending awning; transom lights have been filled with glass brick; inset panels on second floor have been plastered; entry doors and display windows on one bay are intact; altered on the other. Significance:  Part of the building burned and was rebuilt; was the Ruby Cafe. The 1924 Sanborn map shows a 2-story brick structure, the east side was vacant, the west side was a saloon.  The 1928 city directory lists The Bargain Store, Dry Goods and Appollos Durham...

view the listing

104 West Frank Street

104 West Frank Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0012 Address: 104 West Frank Street Name: Denman Building Date: 1910s Town: Lufkin Block: 2 Lot: Half of Lots 7 & 8 Condition: Good; has been altered significantly several times. Description: 2-story masonry with brick veneer; windows are casement arranged in ribbon motif with brick string courses; chamfered entry has newer wood door and rounded awning; 1 of 5 entries has what seems to be original configuration with vertical side lights, others are altered; decorative brickwork and terra cotta coping at parapet. Current facade was applied in 1939. The building has been on this site as first a 3-story and then a 2-story building since approximately the early 1910s. Significance:  The 1928 City Directory shows the J. H. Butler Drug Store on the first floor, Lufkin Telephone Exchange, SW Bell Telephone Co., and the Angelina Studio on the second...

view the listing