507 E. Hospital

507_E_Hospital(1)2010 Summer Survey Description: Originally a Prairie Style, two-story, asymmetrical, hipped roof structure, dwelling. Structure later adapted into office building in 1965. Roof has wide eave overhang, boxed with brackets, and entablature. Exterior façade is covered in tan vinyl siding except for the pale-orange, brick veneer on the west wing of the structure. Front (south) façade first floor consists of two recessed, vinyl sided, entrances supported by orange brick columns and pilasters. Between the two entrances is a ribbon of three, single-paned, stained-glass windows. The south façade of the East wing’s first floor of the structure has a ribbon of five single paned windows and a sliding-glass 2 paned window. The second floor of the east wing has three ranked 1/1 single-hung sashed windows with bracketed tops. The west façade is orange brick veneered and consists of one 1/1/1 fixed paned window. The west and south façades of the second floor are three ranked 1/1 single-hung sashed windows with bracketed tops. The south façade also consists of two single paned stained-glass windows. The east façade is dominated by a two level porch with wooden stairs to the second floor. The north façade is dominated by two adjoining, large single-paned, fixed windows with a bracketed top. 507 E. Hospital 1990 National Register Information Address: 507 E. Hospital Date: 1910-20/ca 1965 Category: Noncontributing Block: 4 Lot: 8 Description: 2-1/2 story; wood...

view the listing

316 N. Church

316_N._Church 2011 Summer Survey 2011 Summer Survey Form 316 N. Church 1990 National Register Information Address: 316 N. Church Date: 1892/1912 Category: Contributing Block: 3 Lot: 6 Description: 2-1/2 story; wood frame construction with bull-nosed siding; brick foundation; L-plan; intersecting hip roofs with composition shingles, hipped dormer, plain entablature; asymmetrical wraparound porch with Tuscan wood columns and spindle railing, wood floor; windows 1/1 wood double-hung, window in dormer fixed with diamond and prism-shaped muntins; entry door wood paneled with upper glass light and transom light; interior brick chimneys on north and south, north chimney with barrel vault cap; projecting bays on north and south side, north bay chamfered, south bay with one chamfered side at first porch; raised sidewalk with concrete curb on Church Street side. Significance: The first story of this house was erected in 1892 by Lee Hardeman, a prominent merchant, shortly after his arrival to Nacogdoches from Melrose. As the Hardeman family grew, the noted architect Dietrich Rulfs was commissioned to enlarge the house, and added the second story, a new gallery, and changed the siding in 1912. The Hardeman family was one of the earliest families to arrive in Texas. Bailey Hardeman signed the Texas Declaration of Independence and served as Secretary of the Treasury under President Burnet, and his brother, Thomas Jones Hardeman, was a member of the Second Republic of the Congress of Texas....

view the listing

422 E. Hospital

422_E_Hospital 2010 Survey Information 422 E. Hospital 1986 Survey Information   Address: 422 E. Hospital Date: 1910 Block: 7 Lot: 3-A Condition: Good Description: 1-story frame residential structure, rectangular, with composition shingle hip roof; pedimented gable with brackets over wood porch with box columns and plain balusters; horizontal bull-nosed siding; 1/1 double-hung windows; glass and wood panel entry...

view the listing

107 S. Church

107_S_Church 2012 Survey 107 S. Church 1986 Survey Information Address: 107 S. Church Name: Gallery 107 Date: 1900 Block: 16 Lot: 7 Condition: Fair; some alterations Description: 3-story rectangular brick commercial structure with gable sheet metal roof; exterior stuccoed; brick chimney at southeast comer; 6/6 double-hung windows with segmental arches. Significance: Shown on 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map as a 2-story brick with basement and 2-story frame addition on north side; used a shoe repair, warehouse, and...

view the listing

702 N. Mound

702 N. Mound The address of 702 N. Mound has become incorporated into the First Christian Church at 720-722 N. Mound, as well as at 523-25 Park St. The older building on the corner of Park and Mound was the original 1990 structure surveyed, as it is an older brick facade with a religious spire as well as the additional lots. Construction began in 1948 for the new home for the First Christian Church, the architect was Nacogdoches local Hal B. Tucker. The groundbreaking service was held April 11, 1948 at 3 pm and the first new service in the sanctuary was July 17, 1949. (Daily Sentinel, 3-7-1982) By August 1, 1969 the Fellowship Hall had been built, with a nursery added 1980. (ETRC Vertical Files- Nacogdoches County Churches D-N) By the end of 1998, eighteen stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ were put in to replace the art deco style colored windows. (Daily Sentinel, 12-5-98) In the ETRC there is a 1956 historic pencil drawing of the sanctuary in A-35, Box 10, Folder 3. 2011 Summer Survey.702_Mound_Street(1) 702 N. Mound 1990 National Register Information Address: 702 N. Mound Date: 1935 Category: Contributing Block: 26 Lot: 11 Description: Brick veneer religious structure with central spire; broken pediment over front door entrance; additional lots: 11A, 11B, 11C, 11D, 11E and...

view the listing

141 N. Church

2010 Survey Information 141_N_Church Survey Form To view the independent National Register of Historic Places information for this building, click NR_Individual_-_Jones_Roland_House 141 N. Church 2007 National Register Information Address: 141 N. Church Name: Jones House Bed & Breakfast Previous Name: Jones House Date: 1895 Type: Domestic Contributing: Yes 141 N. Church 1986 Survey Information Address: 141 N. Church Name: John Square Office Date: 1890 Block: 8 Lot: 8 Condition: Good; recently renovated and painted; trees south of house removed for parking lot Description: 2-1/2 story irregular plan frame residential structure with hipped composition shingle roof; hexagonal tower on northeast corner; two-story porch is heavily ornamented on the Eastlake style with extensive use of balls and spindles, turned posts, shouldered depressed arch brackets, friezes, half-moon bay dividing front steps, ornamented overdoors and brackets; clapboard siding; butt-cut and houndstooth shingles on gable ends; dormers have gable roof and sawn bargeboards; large brick interior chimney; pent skirts, shingles, between stories on tower; projecting bay on south facade has chamfered bay at first level, curved bay with curved 1/1 double-hung windows at second; 1/1 double-hung windows, some Queen Anne; tall 1/1 double-hung windows open onto second floor porch; one circular window on first floor porch; north facade has projecting circular bay at first level, chamfered bay above. Significance: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (RTHL); excellent example of style in East Texas; shown on the 1912...

view the listing

122 N. Church

2012 Survey 122_N_Church 122 N. Church 2007 National Register Information Address: 122 N. Church Name: Church Street Art Gallery Previous Name: La Merle K. Hunt Building Date: 1958 Type: Two part Contributing: No 122 N. Church 1986 Survey Information   Address: 122 N. Church Name: La Merle K. Hunt Building Date: 1958 Block: 7 Lot: 9 Condition: Good Description: 1-story rectangular brick commercial structure with flat roof; metal double-hung windows and plate glass windows. Significance: Shown on the 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map as two parts, 1-story and 2-story brick buildings; the 1-story portion was vacant, roof destroyed by fire; the 2-story portion was a black barber shop and clothes...

view the listing

118 N. Church

118_N_Church 2012 Survey   118 N. Church 2007 National Register Information Address: 118 N. Church Name: The Old Warehouse Previous Name: Bailey Block Date: 1900 Type: One part Contributing: Yes 118 N. Church 1986 Survey Information Address: 118 N. Church Date: 1910 Block: 7 Lot: 10 Condition: Fair Description: 2-story with stepped parapet; flat roof; windows and doors replaced with aluminum units; front closed off with board and batten; entry to 118 has fluted pilasters and molded cornice. Significance: Shown on the 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map as 1-story brick with frame awning, used as garage/auto repair, feed warehouse, and black...

view the listing

404 E. Main

404 E. Main 2010 Survey Information 2010 Survey Form 404 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 404 E. Main Name: House of Versailles Date: 1900 Type: One part Contributing: Yes 404 E. Main 1986 Survey Information Address: 404 E. Main Name: Fashion Shop Date: 1910 Block: 16 Lot: 2 Condition: Fair Description: 1-story rectangular brick commercial structure with flat roof; plate glass windows and doors; wood awning; applied glazed tile and metal facade; cast aluminum vine motif trim. Significance: Shown on the 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map as a 1-story brick with frame awning; used as a...

view the listing

526 East Pilar

The house at 526 East Pilar appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The house is labeled “A” on Pillar Street on the map. 526epilar 2011 Summer Survey 526 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Address: 526 E. Pilar Name: Gully Date: 1880-1900 Block: 20 Lot: 3 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-Story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition hip-and-gable roof with cornice returns, bargeboard in gables; wraparound porch has turned columns and bannister; 3 entry doors onto porch, main entry has large light and side lights; brick pier foundation has latticework; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with hood molds; decorative screen doors; projecting chamfered bay on main facade; extensive landscaping. Significance: Good example of style. 526 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Information Address: 526 E. Pilar Date: 1880-1900 Block: 20 Lot: 3 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-Story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition hip-and-gable roof with cornice returns, bargeboard in gables; wraparound porch has turned columns and bannister; 3 entry doors onto porch, main entry has large light and side lights; brick pier foundation has latticework; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with hood molds; decorative screen doors; projecting chamfered bay on main facade; extensive landscaping. Significance: Good example of style. 526 E. Pilar 1990 National Register Information Address: 526 E. Pilar Date: 1901 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 3 Description: 1-story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition...

view the listing

520 East Pilar

The house at 520 East Pilar appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The house is labeled 748 on Pillar Street on the map. 520 E. Pilar 2011 Summer Survey   520 E. Pilar 1990 National Register Information Address: 520 E. Pilar Date: ca. 1890 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 4 Description: 1-1/2 story frame with lap siding; composition gable roof; central hall plan; blind pilasters at each corner; windows are 4/4 wood double-hung with pedimented hood molds; entry has side lights and transom; projecting porch supported by slender boxed columns; addition on east facade; brick pier foundation. 520 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Information Address: 520 E. Pillar Date: 1890 Block: 20 Lot: 4 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-1/2 story frame with lap siding; composition gable roof; central hall plan; blind pilasters at each corner; windows are 4/4 wood double-hung with pedimented hood molds; entry has side lights and transom; projecting porch supported by slender boxed columns; addition on east facade; brick pier...

view the listing

522 E. Main

Summer 2011 522_E._Main_Survey_Form Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Not shown on the previous years, as the maps do not go far enough east of the downtown area 1906 Sanborn Map (Sheet 5) – Block 17, 917 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1912 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 917 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1921 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 312 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1922 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 400 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1929 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 530 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 1other building on the lot Note that sometime between 1912 and 1921, a 2nd story was added. 522 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 522 E. Main Date: ca. 1900 Category: Contributing Block: 17 Lot: 4 Description: 2-1/2 story irregular plan frame residence with hip-and-valley composition shingle roof; horizontal V-groove siding, 1/1 double-hung windows; chamfered bay has one tall window opening onto porch; one-story wraparound porch has plain round columns and square balusters with pedimented gable at northeast corner; latticed foundation skirt; gables have rounded shingles and half-moon lights with tracery; balcony over entry; entry door has glass panel and transom over door. 522 E. Main...

view the listing

516 E. Main

516 E. Main 2011 Summer Survey Information 2011 Summer Survey Form Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Not shown on the previous years, as the maps do not go far enough east of the downtown area 1906 Sanborn Map (Sheet 5) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1912 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1921 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 308 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1922 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 306 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1929 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 520 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 other buildings on the lot At some point after 1929, there was a second story added to the original structure. 516 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 516 E. Main Date: ca. 1910 Category: Contributing Block: 17 Lot: 3 Description: 1-1/2 story rectangular brick residence with patterned metal shingle roof; hip-and-valley roof with dormer and gables; 1/1 double-hung window-1 entry has glass paneled door and sidelights; door and windows screen have tracery; massive battered wood columns rest on brick bases; one column “missing” beside stoop; roof has finals; chamfered bay on wraparound porch has Queen Anne panel...

view the listing

211 S. Lanana (Sterne-Hoya House)

211 S. Lanana 1990 National Register Information Address: 211 S. Lanana Date: 1830 Category: Contributing Block: 19 Lot: 1A Description: 1-story; wood frame with bull-nosed siding; brick pier foundation; rectangular plan; gable roof with extended rafter and beam ends, wood shingles; inset porch with turned wood posts, brackets, 2 entry doors set at 90 degrees, wood panel with three upper glass lights; windows 4/1 wood double-hung with vertical board shutters. Significance: Adolphus Sterne, a German immigrant, arrived in Nacogdoches in 1826 and subsequently opened a mercantile store on the square. He erected this home in 1830. He was believed to be one of the first Scottish Rite Masons in Texas. Sterne helped finance the Texas Revolution by equipping soldiers from New Orleans. He held several local offices in Nacogdoches and served in the state legislature. The house was purchased by the Hoya family in 1866. 211 S Lanana 1986 Survey Information Address: 211 S. Lanana Name: Sterne-Hoya Residence Date: 1830 Block: 19 Lot: 1-A Condition: Excellent, recently restored, Victorian features removed Description: One and 1/2 story; wood frame with lapped board siding with beaded drip edge; ell plan with central hall or dogrun. addition at rear, porch and room on southeast corner; gable roofs with wood shingles, brick exterior chimney on north facade and rock chimney on south facade; shed roof over gallery porch with turned wood posts; wood...

view the listing

210 Lanana (Charles Hoya House)

210 Lanana 2011 Summer Survey Click here to view the survey form. The same survey in the 2012 format is here. Charles and his wife remained in the well constructed home until 1923. The house originally contained 7 bedrooms, 1 bath, and 1 hall, but was later remodeled to hold 12 rooms which included 9 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and and several more hallways, along with 2 fire places, and 1 porch. The 3rd remodeling took place in 1965 under the ownership of Dr. and Mrs. Francis Abernathy, during which they turned the attic into two bedrooms. According to the Centennial, May 6, 1970, the front part of the house caught on fire and was said to be completely ruined. But today the house looks to be in its original state, so it survived the fire and remains on its original location. 210 Lanana Sanborn Map 210 S. Lanana 1990 National Register Information Address: 210 S. Lanana Date: ca. 1888 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 1 Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with horizontal lapped siding; brick pier foundation with wood lattice infill; irregular plan with chamfered bay on east (front); intersecting gable roofs with cornice returns and pedimented gable ends, bargeboards, composition shingles, extended porch on northeast corner with entry on the diagonal, extended chamfered entry with centered door, wood panel door with etched glass, turned wood posts with brackets,...

view the listing

113 S. Lanana

 2011 Summer Survey 113slanana 2012 Summer Survey 113_S_Lanana Nacogdoches architect Dietrich Rulfs used this building as his studio and workshop in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It received a Historic Restoration grant from the City and the work was completed in early 2011.The building appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The building is labeled “D” on South Lanana Street, near the intersection of South Lanana and East Pillar [sic]. 113 S. Lanana 1990 National Register Information Address: 113 S. Lanana Date: ca. 1882 Category: Noncontributing Block: 18 Lot: 1 Description: 1-story with partial basement; wood frame with vinyl siding, brick foundation skirt; somewhat symmetrical; central hall plan; gabled roofs with curved fascia ends; chamfered bay on northwest corner with spindle brackets; pedimented gable over porch with dentil blocks at the entablature, turned wood posts with floral gingerbread, brick wainscot – modern, central entry door wood with 2 arched upper glass lights, stained glass transom above; central brick chimney; 2/2, 4/4 wood windows. Significance: Dietrich Rulfs, master builder of Nacogdoches, bought this property in 1882 and erected this small house shortly thereafter. He later constructed a larger house and two rental houses on the eastern portion of Block 18. By the turn of the century, Rulfs used this house as a workshop, an office and eventually as...

view the listing

Rural, Highway 69

Highway 69 1986 Survey Information Site No.: H-1136 Address: Highway 69 Name: Dunham Hill Date: 1914 Town: Huntington Block: E. A. Evans Survey, Abstract 223, Tract 8, 32.14 acres, Account # 0223-030-008-000-00. Architect/Builder:  F. L. Dunham Condition: Excellent Description: 1-story frame; cedar shake hip roof pierced by dormer; inset porch runs across facade; supported by boxed columns; entry door and side lights have oval lights; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung; brick pier foundation; concrete porch; outbuildings at rear. Significance:  Built for Foster Lee Durham, a local sawmill owner; all clear virgin pine lumber. Dunham had a lumber mill north of Platt; he also worked for the Long-Bell Lumber Company, Southern Pine Lumber Company, and several Kirby mills.  He purchased the standing timber for the house and had it milled.  The well in front was dug by Frank Kamie on August 7, 1919.  It is currently owned by F. L. Dunham’s son, L. G. Dunham.  Nominated to the National Register.  The significance is architecture.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Greek Revival; Original Use: ...

view the listing

Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church

Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church 1986 Survey Information Site No.: D-1002 Address: Highway 58, South 2 Miles Name:  Olive School #39 & Olive Baptist Church Date: 1903 Town: Diboll Condition: Demolished; archaeological site. Description: School was located in clearing southwest of house; 1-story frame, one-teacher, grades 1-7; building torn down ca. 1942 by Therman Strain; Church was west of house; well has three-foot stucco neck with U-shaped rest; well dug circa 1920s; spring on site now has wellhouse; spring was cased with hollow tree.  There is no structure currently on the site. Significance:  Site of Olive School; dropped below twenty students after 1932, so moved to Beulah School; Thelma Hwkins was last teacher; Walker has records back to 1903; also site of church which was used for a while as a school; earlier log school was located nearby on Dry Creek.  [11986 Notes:  Original Use:  School (Now Demolished); Present Use:  Residence,...

view the listing

1213 Lotus Lane

1213 Lotus Lane Photographs 1213 Lotus Lane 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0861 Address: 1213 Lotus Lane  Name: Harry and Robbie Mantooth Bowers Residence Date: 1928-1937 Town: Lufkin Block: J. L Quinalty, Abstract 40, Tract 3 (conrd) #0040-389-003-00-00 Architect/Builder: Shirley Simons Condition: Excellent Description: 2-story masonry with wood shingle multi-gable roof; projecting pone cochere on north facade; projecting wrap around porch on east and south facades is supported by paired boxed columns; windows are wood casements; dormers pierce the roof on two facades; rustic rough sawn random width gable infill; massed plan. Landscaping includes large oak trees and extensive ivy. Garage of similar style at rear. Significance: One of the best examples of the Tudor style designed by Shirley Simons. Robbie Mantooth was Simone wife’s sister. Robbie Mantooth was the daughter of Judge Edwin James Mantooth and Caledonia Watson. Mantooth (1852-1944) was a lawyer, born in Tennessee and moved to Lufkin, establishing the Lufkin Telephone Exchange and Lufkin National Bank. Harry T. Bowers owned and operated the Bowers Grocery in Lufkin; they had five children. The structure is nominated to the National Register. The significance is...

view the listing

501 Hines Road at Booker

501 Hines Road at Booker 1986 Survey Information Site No.: D-0972 Address: 501 Hines Road Name: Henry G. Temple Residence Date: 1937 Town: Diboll Block: Town of Diboll, Block 8 Lot: 9, Account #3550-321-008-009-02. Architect/Builder: Ed Bodet; Contractor:  Temple Lumber Company, Lewis Landers, foreman. Condition: Excellent; house has been re-sided with composition board. Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with wide lapped horizontal board siding; irregular plan; brick foundation; intersecting gable roofs with composition shingles, cornice returns, three dormers across south facade; five-bay gallery porch across front with boxed Doric columns, diamond-patterned railing and is screened; central entry door – wood (modern) with small paned side lights and transom lights; windows 8/8, 6/9, 6/6 wood double-hung with hood mold; later addition on east — sun porch/family room with sliding glass doors and Doric pilasters; extensive grounds, bounded by painted board fence and brick wall; barn structure, greenhouse, garage, caretaker’s house; pone cochere on west side of house; exterior brick chimney on west; curved, exposed aggregate driveway.  Interior details: The house has a central hall with living room on the east side and dining room on the west or railroad side; the hall extends past the kitchen and breakfast room; there are four bedrooms; the 2nd floor is one open room for parties, etc.  The walls were papered, hardwood floors; ceiling height is 8 to 9 feet.  Ca. 1939 the chief engineer at the mill designed...

view the listing