Rural, Highway 69

Highway 69 1986 Survey Information Site No.: H-1136 Address: Highway 69 Name: Dunham Hill Date: 1914 Town: Huntington Block: E. A. Evans Survey, Abstract 223, Tract 8, 32.14 acres, Account # 0223-030-008-000-00. Architect/Builder:  F. L. Dunham Condition: Excellent Description: 1-story frame; cedar shake hip roof pierced by dormer; inset porch runs across facade; supported by boxed columns; entry door and side lights have oval lights; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung; brick pier foundation; concrete porch; outbuildings at rear. Significance:  Built for Foster Lee Durham, a local sawmill owner; all clear virgin pine lumber. Dunham had a lumber mill north of Platt; he also worked for the Long-Bell Lumber Company, Southern Pine Lumber Company, and several Kirby mills.  He purchased the standing timber for the house and had it milled.  The well in front was dug by Frank Kamie on August 7, 1919.  It is currently owned by F. L. Dunham’s son, L. G. Dunham.  Nominated to the National Register.  The significance is architecture.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Greek Revival; Original Use: ...

view the listing

000 Highway 7 – 2

000 Highway 7 Photographs 000 Highway 7 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0863 Address: 000 Highway 7  Name: Pollock Post Oftice/Barbee’s Art Studio Date: 1900 Town: Pollock Condition: Good; some alterations, windows have been changed Description: 1-story frame with rectangular plan, composition gable roof; projecting porch supported by boxed columns; porch has decorative lattice work and simple bannister, 2 entry doors open onto porch; pier and beam foundation skirted with brick lattice infill; windows are 4/4 wood double hung and replacement aluminum. Significance: Was Pollock Post Office and owned by Roy Sanders. Associated with house to...

view the listing

2100 Tulane Drive

2100 Tulane Drive 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0680 Address: 2100 Tulane Drive Name: Dewayne Weldon Date: 1920-1940 Town: Rural Lufkin Block: Not Listed Architect/Builder: Contractor Condition: Fair; numerous...

view the listing

501 Hines Road at Booker

501 Hines Road at Booker 1986 Survey Information Site No.: D-0972 Address: 501 Hines Road Name: Henry G. Temple Residence Date: 1937 Town: Diboll Block: Town of Diboll, Block 8 Lot: 9, Account #3550-321-008-009-02. Architect/Builder: Ed Bodet; Contractor:  Temple Lumber Company, Lewis Landers, foreman. Condition: Excellent; house has been re-sided with composition board. Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with wide lapped horizontal board siding; irregular plan; brick foundation; intersecting gable roofs with composition shingles, cornice returns, three dormers across south facade; five-bay gallery porch across front with boxed Doric columns, diamond-patterned railing and is screened; central entry door – wood (modern) with small paned side lights and transom lights; windows 8/8, 6/9, 6/6 wood double-hung with hood mold; later addition on east — sun porch/family room with sliding glass doors and Doric pilasters; extensive grounds, bounded by painted board fence and brick wall; barn structure, greenhouse, garage, caretaker’s house; pone cochere on west side of house; exterior brick chimney on west; curved, exposed aggregate driveway.  Interior details: The house has a central hall with living room on the east side and dining room on the west or railroad side; the hall extends past the kitchen and breakfast room; there are four bedrooms; the 2nd floor is one open room for parties, etc.  The walls were papered, hardwood floors; ceiling height is 8 to 9 feet.  Ca. 1939 the chief engineer at the mill designed...

view the listing

Manning, Texas

Manning, Texas Photographs   Manning, Texas 1986 Survey Information Site No.: Z-1165 Address: Manning, Texas  Name: Gibbs/Flournoy House Date: Factual 1905; 1928 Town: Manning Block: Lincoln Norris, Abst 878, Tract 2 Condition: Fair Description: 2-story; wood frame with horizontal board siding; pier foundation; rectangular massed plan; hip roofs with hipped dormers extending out over porches on two sides, deep overhangs, composition shingles; two-story portico on front with brick columns, one-story porch on front wrapping around to southwest; paired battered boxed wood 1/2 columns resting on brick piers, low brick wall around porch, single entry door with screen door, wood-paneled door with upper glass light, side lights; windows 4/4 wood double-hung; two second story boxed balconies WI dormers w/ simple wood railings, balcony on sw has boxed, battered wood porch supports; sunroom on sw at 1st floor, 1 exterior brick chimney on east, 1 interior brick chimney on west; ridge cresting on dormers; ventilator cupola on crest of main hip roof; farm outbuilding at rear in poor condition Significance: Home of the superintendent of the mill at Manning, Mr. W. M. Gibbs; good example of architectural style. Nominated to the National Register. The significance is industry and architecture. WM Gibbs was succeeded as manager by his son Ernest Gibbs. After the mill burned he moved to Shawnee Prairie, n. of Manning, io operate a farm and cotton gin. Next owners were Morgan & Ruby Flournoy, who came to Manning in 1929 as...

view the listing

1001 Southwood Drive at Sherwood

1001 Southwood Drive at Sherwood Photographs 1001 Southwood Drive at Sherwood 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-06555 Address: 1001 Southwood Drive at Sherwood Date: 1930’s Town: Rural Lufkin Block: 18 Lot: 43 Architect/Builder: Contractor Condition: Good Description: 1-story; wood frame with bull-nosed siding; brick foundation; intersecting hip roofs, composition shingles; extended classical entry with inset wood-paneled door; irregular plan windows 1/1 wood double-hung; detached frame garage; portal window on front facade and a Queen Anne sash with stained glass; exterior brick chimney on south....

view the listing

1211 First Street, North

1211 First Street, North 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0743 Address: 1211 N. First Street Date: 1925-1935 Town: Lufkin Condition: Good; porch altered Description: 1-story; wood frame with beveled siding; irregular plan; hip roof with composition shingles, boxed eave; portico porch with boxed Doric wood columns on modern brick base, entry door extends into porch with classical cornice and pilasters, wood paneled door, flanked by lanterns; windows wood double-hung with upper sash that is 6/2, 4/2, and lower sash with one or two panes, hood mold above, shutters across...

view the listing

1860 Old Mill Road

1860 Old Mill Road Photographs 1860 Old Mill Road 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0526 Address: 1860 Old Mill Road Name: J. H. Kurth Residence Date: 1890 Town: Lufkin Block: A. Barela, Abstract 49, Tract 534, 9.54 acres Condition: Excellent; exterior appears unaltered, interior renovation. Description: 2-1/2 story; wood frame with horizontal board siding; brick foundation with brick foundation skirt; massed plan with central hall, 1-story addition on north; pyramidal hip roof with hipped dormers, composition shingles, entablature with dentils beneath the boxed eaves; 2-story projecting portico on a raised masonry base with paired cylindrical Doric columns, third story balcony atop the portico with boxed column balusters and solid paneled railing; second story porch extends around the entire south, west, and north sides, has a metal shed roof, and boxed with paneled railing, the 1st and 2nd floor porch have curved corners on SW and NW; Doric columns on 1st floor porch are cylindrical; windows 1/1 wood double-hung; elaborate entry w/ single door flanked by multipaned side lights and transom lights; hipped dormers on 4 sides of main roof w/ shingled siding and stained glass windows; small 1-story wing on n. side w/ gable roof, turned wood columns and fretwork on the porch, 1/1 wood windows; rear screened porch at SE; detached wood frame garage. Interior description: the structure is 3 units wide and 2 units deep with service wing at rear. Central front entry hall and stairs are flanked...

view the listing

202 Henderson Street

202 Henderson Street  1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0312 Address: 202 Henderson Street Name: S. W. Henderson Residence Date: 1895-1901 Town: Lufkin Block: A. Barela, Abstract 49 Lot: Tract 584, Account #0049-383-584-000-00. Condition: Fair- Good Description: 2-story; wood frame with beveled board siding; brick foundation; irregular plan with porte cochere on side of front facade; hip and gable roof, deep eaves, composition shingles; side-facing front porch, square brick columns with capitols, low brick wall with concrete coping, entry door flanked by 1/1 wood double-hung windows, hood molding above; windows 1/1 wood double-hung and multipaned over some sashes with stained glass; second story balcony with wood rail above entry and above pate cochere; two secondary entries off front porch; rear porch with wood supports; sun porch at second floor (southwest) with geometric panned casements.  Brick columns and porch added in the 1930s by Mrs. Henderson.  The house west of this structure was originally a five bay carriage house.  It has been converted into a residence. Significance:  S. W. Henderson was secretary-treasurer of the mill when it first started; built by materials and labor furnished from the mill; decorative interiors, substantially intact; Mr. Henderson is still in Lufkin; Mr. Bridges purchased the house 1982-83 from Mr. Jordan (related to the Hendersons).  Described by Lita Maberry as a “Type A” house” distinguished by their size, spacious fenced yard, and location in the community. Each house was painted white, had eight to 10 rooms, and...

view the listing

501 Frank

501 Frank 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0283 Address: 501 Frank (Corner of Douglas) Date: 1924 Contractor:  Angelina Building Company Town: Lufkin Block: 77 Lot: 3 Condition: Fair with deteriorating roof Significance:  Built for V. B. and Ruth Glenn by the Angelina Building Company. The mechanic lien was filed on May 5, 1924 and describes a 5-room house with bathroom, breakfast room, hall, and porches.  It was for $5,500.00, which represents a large sum.  The Glenns were unable to make their payments, and refinanced the property.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Bungalow w/ Classical...

view the listing

435 Charlton Street

435 Charlton Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0180 Address: 435 Charlton Street Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: Denman Addition, Block 25 Lot: 4 Condition: Good Description: 1-story; wood frame with grooved board siding; rectangular plan; hip roofs with deep eaves, composition shingles; extended porch with battered boxed columns resting on brick piers, central wood panel door with upper glass and hood mold; windows 1/1 wood double-hung with hood mold, plain entablature under...

view the listing

1900 Frank

1900 Frank 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0278 Address: 1900 Frank (across from Industrial) Date: 1930-1940 Town: Lufkin Block: 2 Lot: 19 Condition: Good Description: 2-story white house.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular w/ Classical...

view the listing

404 Ellis Avenue

404 Ellis Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0253 Address: 404 Ellis Avenue Name: Weaver/Stroud/Stegall Residence  Date: 1892 Town: Lufkin Block: 81 Lot: 4, south half of lot 5, Account 33570-389-081-002-02. Condition: Fair Description: 2-1/2 story; wood frame with beveled wood siding; brick foundation; irregular plan; intersecting gable roofs with clipped gable ends to east and west, composition shingles; two interior brick chimneys, lightning rods; extended 2-story porch, low wall and band of windows at second floor, square brick columns and screening at first floor, entry door and sidelights are multipaned glass and wood; wood double-hung windows with 6/1 sash with hood mold; porte cochere on west, an extension of the porch; balcony with low wood railing on east facade, second floor. Significance:  The 1928 directory list Ashley and Kate Stroud; he was an agent with the Texas Company and she worked at the Nehi Bottling Company.  The 1937 directory list Ashley as working at the Texas Company, Stroud Lumber Co and Cotton Gin at 311-15 S. Third.  The 1946-1947 directory lists Kate Stroud, widow.  Dr. Gail Medford recalls that the house was the first in Lufkin to have indoor plumbing.  The house has architectural and historical significance; however, it is in only fair condition and it scheduled for demolition or removal from its current site.  It should be considered for National register if it is renovated in style consistent with original...

view the listing

610 Church Street

610 Church Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0201 Address: 610 Church Street Date: 1920-30 Town: Lufkin Block: Townsend Addition, 33 Condition: Good Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with horizontal board siding; raised foundation; rectangular plan; hip-and-gable roof with dormer on southwest, deep eaves, composition shingles; extended porch with columns; central door; windows 1/1 wood double-hung; detached garage.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular w/ Neoclassical...

view the listing

104 North Third Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 104 North Third 104 North Third Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0092 Address: 104 North Third Street Name: Old Federal Building Date: 1936 Town: Lufkin Block: 21 Lot: 9, 10, 11, 12, Account #3570-388-021-009-00. Architect/Builder:  Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect; Neal Melick Engineering. Condition: Good; currently being renovated. Description: 1-story masonry, rectangular plan with load-bearing red brick walls; hip standing seam metal roof; limestone cornice and four massive Doric columns; windows are 12/12 wood double-hung with limestone lintels; granite entry stairs; federal cast metal modillions on main facade.  Entry doors have probably been altered as they are glass and aluminum.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Federal; Original Use:  Post Office; Present Use:  Federal Courthouse] Significance: Good example of style.  Nominated to the National Register.  The significance is architecture.  Currently being renovated as Federal Courthouse.  It is said that the federal judges wanted to renovate the structure rather than tear it down and build a new...

view the listing

109 North Second Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 109 North First 109 North Second Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0087 Address: 109 North Second Street Name: Dendy & Longino, Attys. Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: Mid third of lots 13-14 Condition: Good; altered, recently renovated. Description: 2-story masonry with brick veneer; 6/6 and 9/9 wood double-hung with shutters; projecting porch upheld by Doric columns, has second floor railing; entry has side lights and transom, large decorative water...

view the listing

112 North First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 112 North First 112 North First Street Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0072 Address: 112 North First Street Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: North 1/2 of lots 23-24, Account #3570-388-009-023-01 Condition: Fair; storefront altered with sheet metal sheathing. Description: 2-story; load-bearing brick with brick veneer on front; rectangular plan with inset central entry, 1-bay facade; flat roof with pedimented parapet broken by vertical cap at the center and on each side, diamond-patterned brickwork above a corbeled cornice, stringer courses of contrasting colored brickwork below the cornice and above and below the second story windows; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung on front, 2/2 double-hung on north and south sides; first floor storefront altered by sheet metal sheathing; aluminum frame display windows and central entry door flanked by side lights.  [1986 Notes:  Original Use:  Commercial; Present Use:  For Sale, Vacant] Significance:  Good example of early 20th century commercial with Neo-Classical...

view the listing

314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street

314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0065 Address: 314 East Lufkin Avenue at 4th Street Name: Central Fire Station Date: 1929 Architect: Shirley Simons Builder: Campbell & White Town: Lufkin Block: 22 Lot: 3, 4, 5 and north 1/2 of 6, Account #3570-388-022-004-00. Condition: Good; new plumbing and windows. Description: 2-story brick load-bearing rectangular plan; 3-bay articulated by three keyed arched garage door openings; second floor windows have keyed flat arch with replacement aluminum windows; two additional arched openings on either side, one has concrete plaque with building information; molded concrete cornice, flat roof. Significance: Have 1916 Ford with foam tank mixed with water, 4-cylinder engine, first motorized engine for fire truck; this is #1 Lufkin Fire Engine in fire station; used for parades.  Nominated to the National Register as one of the most significant structures designed by east Texas architect Shirley Simons.  It is the only structure in the downtown area nominated to the National Register that is associated with city government.  The significance is in the areas of architecture and...

view the listing

208 East Lufkin Avenue

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 208 East Lufkin 208 East Lufkin Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0063 Address: 208 East Lufkin Avenue Name: Don Brazil, Atty. Town: Lufkin Block: 16 Lot: 5 Condition: Good – Fair; extensively altered. Description: 2-story masonry stuccoed; wood vertical and brick applied front with aluminum awning, modern storefront...

view the listing

200 East Frank Street

200 East Frank 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0058 Address: 200 East Frank Street Name: County Building Date: 1926 Architect/Builder:  Southern Steel Co., San Antonio, Texas Town: Lufkin Block: 15, North Side Condition: Fair – Good; altered by 1950s covered entry, 1-story addition on west, painted. Description: 3-story; load bearing brick, resting on a brick classical cornice with dentils above second floor, raised string courses above second and third floor windows and below first floor windows of either stone or cast stone; covered entry doors on north and south; double wood doors with upper glass light and transom on north facade; windows on north facade are paired, all windows are 2/2, 3/2 single-hung with segment arches and keystones on first floor; brick has been painted a beige color; some windows filled in; 1-story noncontributing addition on the west.  [1986 Notes:  Original Use:  Jail; Present Use:  County Offices] Significance:  Angelina County Jail; R. A. Courtney was county judge; J. W. Allen, V. V. Crocker, J. W. Locke, S. L. Treadwell were commissioners; A. B. Youngblood was sheriff; newer section on west side was constructed in 1951; Wilbur Kent, AIA, was the architect, T. G. Barnes was the builder.  The 1927 Sanborn map shows a 3-story fireproof structure build in 1926.  The 1951 addition is not consistent with the original architecture...

view the listing