408 N. Mound

408_Mound_Street 2011 Summer Survey Description: One of the best preserved historic homes on Mound Street. Underneath the gables are decorative bracketing, and under the second floor balcony there is dentil work that is also present above the front entry doors, as well as the second story door that leads to the second story porch over the entry. The most notable feature is the front iron spiral staircase that leads from the first floor porch to the second story porch. The left side of the house contains a projecting bay, like many of the Dietrich Rulfs’ other houses depict. A easily overlooked detail of the house is a still functioning clock above the driveway on the right side of the house. Significance: From 1931- 1961, the house was under the ownership of Mrs. Mary Moon and her daughter, Sarah Jane Moon. In 1961, the house was used by Cason Monk Funeral Home as a chapel during the time they were building their new chapel. By 1962, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Taylor Jr. bought the home. Mrs. Taylor converted the downstairs into an antique shop. (ETRC Vertical Files: Nacogdoches- Historic Homes; Daily Sentinel April 22, 1963) Update: Granted Historical Overlay Zoning in 1991 to qualify for local historical marker. House has been used as a bed and breakfast, so the the front spiral staircase had to be added as part of...

view the listing

516 E. Main

516 E. Main 2011 Summer Survey Information 2011 Summer Survey Form Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Not shown on the previous years, as the maps do not go far enough east of the downtown area 1906 Sanborn Map (Sheet 5) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1912 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1921 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 308 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1922 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 306 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1929 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 520 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 other buildings on the lot At some point after 1929, there was a second story added to the original structure. 516 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 516 E. Main Date: ca. 1910 Category: Contributing Block: 17 Lot: 3 Description: 1-1/2 story rectangular brick residence with patterned metal shingle roof; hip-and-valley roof with dormer and gables; 1/1 double-hung window-1 entry has glass paneled door and sidelights; door and windows screen have tracery; massive battered wood columns rest on brick bases; one column “missing” beside stoop; roof has finals; chamfered bay on wraparound porch has Queen Anne panel...

view the listing

313 Paul Avenue

313 Paul Avenue Photographs 313 Paul Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0543 Address: 313 Paul Avenue Date: 1900 Town: Lufkin Condition: Fair- Good. Description: 1-1/2 story frame with drop siding; composition gable roof pierced by one dormer; gables have barge boards and decorative shingles; ell plan; projecting chambered bay has Queen Anne window; windows are 1/1 double-hung with decorative surrounds; inset porch has turned columns, brackets, fretwork, and banister; two entry doors onto porch have ornate screens; one exterior brick chimney on east facade; foundation is brick pier, garage at...

view the listing

304 Paul Avenue

304 Paul Avenue Photographs 304 Paul Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0541 Address: 304 Paul Avenue Name: Cavanaugh Residence Date: 1900-1910 Town: Lufkin Block: 31 Lot: 1 Condition: Good Description: 1-story frame with drop siding; hip and gable composition roof pierced by one corbeled brick chimney; gables have barge board and decorative shingles; massed plan; wraparound porch has turned columns with brackets and banister; main entry door and side lights have oval glass panel, also has transom light; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with half screens and decorative surrounds; chambered bay has pendant brackets and ornate stained glass windows; foundation is brick pier with lattice; garage of similar style at rear. Significance:  In 1928 directory listed as residence of Mrs. S. E. Cavanaugh, the housekeeper at Hotel Angelina. In 1946-1947 it was the residence of Mrs. Annie Dickerson. Cavanaugh family is associated with Cavanaugh Jewelry store in Lufkin Downtown. Nominated to the National Register. The significance is...

view the listing

404 Frank

404 Frank 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0281 Address: 404 Frank Date: 1930s Town: Lufkin Block: 75 Lot: 4 Condition: Good; altered entry, 1st floor windows, front porch filled, large HVAC equipment on W. Description: 1 – 1/2 story; wood frame with beveled wood siding; irregular plan with inset entry; brick pier foundation; gambrel roof with long shed dormer on front, composition shingles; extended portico resting on narrow boxed wood columns, arched entry with depending lantern; centered multipaned glass and wood door with pediment above; fish scale shingles at portico gable end; windows multipaned picture windows 2/2, 4/4, 6/6 wood double-hung, some with hood molds.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular/Eclectic;   Original Use:  Residence; Present Use:...

view the listing

317 Frank

317 Frank 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0280 Address: 317 Frank (at Bonner) Name: TechniTech Computer Services Date: 1900-1915 Town: Lufkin Block: 79 Lot: 1 & 2 Condition: Good; altered by later red brick veneer, roof appears altered. Description: 2-story; wood frame with brick veneer; irregular plan; intersecting gable roofs with composition shingles, pedimented gable ends with sunburst and fish scale shingles; small inset entry, wood-paneled door with glass lights; windows 2/2 with soldier course lintel; interior brick chimney with three clay chimney pots; secondary entry on southwest, rear yard paved for parking.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Victorian;   Original Use:  Residence; Present Use:...

view the listing

105 North First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Information 105 North First 105 North First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0097 Address: 105 North First Street Name: Boddies Family Shoe Store Date: 1890-1900 Town: Lufkin Block: 3 Lot: 16, [Account] #3570-388-003-016-00 Condition: Fair; some deterioration in brick on north; facade has anchor marks which indicate that a later facade was removed.  Description: 2-story; load-bearing brick with plaster on east facade, beaded joints to resemble stone; rectangular plan; flat roof with parapet; 1-bay facade with metal suspended awning at first floor, altered storefront with inset entry, now aluminum frame with display windows, vertical aluminum sheathing, transom above canopy filled in; second story windows 1/1 wood double-hung with arched heads, relief arch and keystone above; windows on north facade have a flat lintel above and some have deterioration in the masonry.  Parts of the rear facade that faced onto Cotton Square is still intact. Significance:  The 1928 directory lists Spivey-Crow Drug Co. on the first floor, 2nd floor was East Texas Insurance Co.; the 1937 listing was for L. D. Barrett, No. 2 Drug...

view the listing

621 East Groesbeck Street

621 East Groesbeck Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0038 Address: 621 East Groesbeck Street Date: 1914 Town: Lufkin Condition: Good – Fair; some alterations. Description: 1-story frame with drop siding; massed plan; hip and gable composition roof pierced by corbeled brick chimney; gables have fishscale shingles and ornamental windows; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with hood molds; two porch stoops with multiple-paned doors; concrete steps; brick pier...

view the listing

319 East Groesbeck Street

319 East Groesbeck Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0029 Address: 319 East Groesbeck Street Date: 1908 Architect/Builder:  Contractor W. P. Berry Town: Lufkin Block: 19 Lot: 7 & 8 Condition: Good – Fair; some alterations. Description: 1-story frame with drop siding; massed plan with two projecting chamfered bays; roof is hip-and-gable composition with finials at hips and gables; inset porch with plain columns, transom light over multiple-paned doors; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with decorative surround; decorative shingles and pendants in gables; Queen Anne windows; brick pier foundation; garage at rear. Significance:  Good example of style.  Built for W.E. and Emma Porter by W. P. Berry in 1908. The Mechanic Lien describes a 1-story shingled room house, brick piers, and wood frame construction.  It was filed on March 26, 1908, and completion date was June 1, 1908.  the lien was for...

view the listing