526 East Pilar

The house at 526 East Pilar appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The house is labeled “A” on Pillar Street on the map. 526epilar 2011 Summer Survey 526 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Address: 526 E. Pilar Name: Gully Date: 1880-1900 Block: 20 Lot: 3 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-Story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition hip-and-gable roof with cornice returns, bargeboard in gables; wraparound porch has turned columns and bannister; 3 entry doors onto porch, main entry has large light and side lights; brick pier foundation has latticework; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with hood molds; decorative screen doors; projecting chamfered bay on main facade; extensive landscaping. Significance: Good example of style. 526 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Information Address: 526 E. Pilar Date: 1880-1900 Block: 20 Lot: 3 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-Story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition hip-and-gable roof with cornice returns, bargeboard in gables; wraparound porch has turned columns and bannister; 3 entry doors onto porch, main entry has large light and side lights; brick pier foundation has latticework; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with hood molds; decorative screen doors; projecting chamfered bay on main facade; extensive landscaping. Significance: Good example of style. 526 E. Pilar 1990 National Register Information Address: 526 E. Pilar Date: 1901 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 3 Description: 1-story frame with bull-nosed siding; composition...

view the listing

520 East Pilar

The house at 520 East Pilar appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The house is labeled 748 on Pillar Street on the map. 520 E. Pilar 2011 Summer Survey   520 E. Pilar 1990 National Register Information Address: 520 E. Pilar Date: ca. 1890 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 4 Description: 1-1/2 story frame with lap siding; composition gable roof; central hall plan; blind pilasters at each corner; windows are 4/4 wood double-hung with pedimented hood molds; entry has side lights and transom; projecting porch supported by slender boxed columns; addition on east facade; brick pier foundation. 520 E. Pilar 1986 Survey Information Address: 520 E. Pillar Date: 1890 Block: 20 Lot: 4 Condition: Excellent Description: 1-1/2 story frame with lap siding; composition gable roof; central hall plan; blind pilasters at each corner; windows are 4/4 wood double-hung with pedimented hood molds; entry has side lights and transom; projecting porch supported by slender boxed columns; addition on east facade; brick pier...

view the listing

522 E. Main

Summer 2011 522_E._Main_Survey_Form Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Not shown on the previous years, as the maps do not go far enough east of the downtown area 1906 Sanborn Map (Sheet 5) – Block 17, 917 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1912 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 917 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1921 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 312 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1922 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 400 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1929 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 530 E. Main – shown as a 2-story dwelling with 1other building on the lot Note that sometime between 1912 and 1921, a 2nd story was added. 522 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 522 E. Main Date: ca. 1900 Category: Contributing Block: 17 Lot: 4 Description: 2-1/2 story irregular plan frame residence with hip-and-valley composition shingle roof; horizontal V-groove siding, 1/1 double-hung windows; chamfered bay has one tall window opening onto porch; one-story wraparound porch has plain round columns and square balusters with pedimented gable at northeast corner; latticed foundation skirt; gables have rounded shingles and half-moon lights with tracery; balcony over entry; entry door has glass panel and transom over door. 522 E. Main...

view the listing

516 E. Main

516 E. Main 2011 Summer Survey Information 2011 Summer Survey Form Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Not shown on the previous years, as the maps do not go far enough east of the downtown area 1906 Sanborn Map (Sheet 5) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1912 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 679 Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 outbuildings 1921 Sanborn Map (Sheet 8) – Block 17, 308 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1922 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 306 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 1 outbuilding 1929 Sanborn Map (Sheet 7) – Block 17, 520 E. Main – shown as a 1-story dwelling with 2 other buildings on the lot At some point after 1929, there was a second story added to the original structure. 516 E. Main 1990 National Register Information Address: 516 E. Main Date: ca. 1910 Category: Contributing Block: 17 Lot: 3 Description: 1-1/2 story rectangular brick residence with patterned metal shingle roof; hip-and-valley roof with dormer and gables; 1/1 double-hung window-1 entry has glass paneled door and sidelights; door and windows screen have tracery; massive battered wood columns rest on brick bases; one column “missing” beside stoop; roof has finals; chamfered bay on wraparound porch has Queen Anne panel...

view the listing

210 Lanana (Charles Hoya House)

210 Lanana 2011 Summer Survey Click here to view the survey form. The same survey in the 2012 format is here. Charles and his wife remained in the well constructed home until 1923. The house originally contained 7 bedrooms, 1 bath, and 1 hall, but was later remodeled to hold 12 rooms which included 9 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and and several more hallways, along with 2 fire places, and 1 porch. The 3rd remodeling took place in 1965 under the ownership of Dr. and Mrs. Francis Abernathy, during which they turned the attic into two bedrooms. According to the Centennial, May 6, 1970, the front part of the house caught on fire and was said to be completely ruined. But today the house looks to be in its original state, so it survived the fire and remains on its original location. 210 Lanana Sanborn Map 210 S. Lanana 1990 National Register Information Address: 210 S. Lanana Date: ca. 1888 Category: Contributing Block: 20 Lot: 1 Description: 1-1/2 story; wood frame with horizontal lapped siding; brick pier foundation with wood lattice infill; irregular plan with chamfered bay on east (front); intersecting gable roofs with cornice returns and pedimented gable ends, bargeboards, composition shingles, extended porch on northeast corner with entry on the diagonal, extended chamfered entry with centered door, wood panel door with etched glass, turned wood posts with brackets,...

view the listing

113 S. Lanana

 2011 Summer Survey 113slanana 2012 Summer Survey 113_S_Lanana Nacogdoches architect Dietrich Rulfs used this building as his studio and workshop in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It received a Historic Restoration grant from the City and the work was completed in early 2011.The building appears on the 1906 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nacogdoches. This link provides access to the map. The building is labeled “D” on South Lanana Street, near the intersection of South Lanana and East Pillar [sic]. 113 S. Lanana 1990 National Register Information Address: 113 S. Lanana Date: ca. 1882 Category: Noncontributing Block: 18 Lot: 1 Description: 1-story with partial basement; wood frame with vinyl siding, brick foundation skirt; somewhat symmetrical; central hall plan; gabled roofs with curved fascia ends; chamfered bay on northwest corner with spindle brackets; pedimented gable over porch with dentil blocks at the entablature, turned wood posts with floral gingerbread, brick wainscot – modern, central entry door wood with 2 arched upper glass lights, stained glass transom above; central brick chimney; 2/2, 4/4 wood windows. Significance: Dietrich Rulfs, master builder of Nacogdoches, bought this property in 1882 and erected this small house shortly thereafter. He later constructed a larger house and two rental houses on the eastern portion of Block 18. By the turn of the century, Rulfs used this house as a workshop, an office and eventually as...

view the listing

612 Virginia Avenue

612 Virginia Avenue 2011 Summer Survey Click HIS308 Survey Form for the survey form. 612 Virginia Avenue 1990 National Register Information Address: 612 Virginia Avenue Date: 1895 Category: Contributing Block: 35 Lot: 18 Description: 2-1/2 story; masonry ground floor, wood frame at the piano nobile and above; brick foundation; central hall, irregular plan; cedar shingle hip-and-gable roof pierced by central gable dormer with Palladianstyle window; windows are 1/1 and 2/2 wood double-hung; entry seems to have been altered; fishscale shingles in gable; pedimented portico projects from main facade; front lawn slopes dramatically close to street with brick stepsset into terrace; wood lap siding. Significance: Junius (June) Clark Harris, a prominent attorney in Nacogdoches, built this structure in 1895. It was designed by local architect Dietrich Rulfs and it housed the Harris family until 1923. Tom Davison, the only child of June and Margaret Harris, resided at the residence until 1960. Davison was a banker having organized and acted as chief operating officer of First Federal Savings and Loan Association. Tom Davison, Jr. currently resides at 612 Virginia Avenue. 612 Virginia Avenue 1986 Survey Information Address: 612 Virginia Name: June Harris House Block: 35 Lot: 18 Condition: Good; some alterations Description: 2-1/2 story; masonry ground floor, wood frame at the piano nobile and above; brick foundation; central hall, irregular plan; cedar shingle hip-and-gable roof pierced by central gable donner with Palladian-style...

view the listing

1004 Fifth Street, North

1004 Fifth Street, North 1986 Survey Information Site No.: H-1135 Address: 1004 Fifth Street, North Date: 1910-1920 Town: Huntington Block: 10 Lot: 12-14 Condition: Fair Description: 1-story; wood frame with bull-nosed siding; brick pier foundation; U-plan; gable roofs with composition shingles; interior brick chimney; shed roof over porch, chambered wood columns; two entry doors; 6/6 wood double-hung windows.  [1986 Note:  Style/Type:  Vernacular Greek...

view the listing

209 Spruce Street, West

209 Spruce Street, West 1986 Survey Information Site No.: H-1124 Address: 209 Spruce Street, West Name: Dr. Stewart’s House Date: 1900 Town: Huntington Block: 27 Lot: 8-11 Condition: Good; altered by addition at rear. Description: 1-story; wood frame with bull-nosed siding; pier foundation with foundation skirt; originally an ell plan with irregular addition at rear; hip and gable roof with composition shingles, exterior brick chimney on north; porch with turned wood posts, geometric stick-pattern railing, floral brackets, Victorian fretwork; windows 1/1 wood double-hung with hood mold. Significance:  Dr. Stewart was a physician for 42 years in...

view the listing

Rural, Highway 69

Highway 69 1986 Survey Information Site No.: H-1136 Address: Highway 69 Name: Dunham Hill Date: 1914 Town: Huntington Block: E. A. Evans Survey, Abstract 223, Tract 8, 32.14 acres, Account # 0223-030-008-000-00. Architect/Builder:  F. L. Dunham Condition: Excellent Description: 1-story frame; cedar shake hip roof pierced by dormer; inset porch runs across facade; supported by boxed columns; entry door and side lights have oval lights; windows are 1/1 wood double-hung; brick pier foundation; concrete porch; outbuildings at rear. Significance:  Built for Foster Lee Durham, a local sawmill owner; all clear virgin pine lumber. Dunham had a lumber mill north of Platt; he also worked for the Long-Bell Lumber Company, Southern Pine Lumber Company, and several Kirby mills.  He purchased the standing timber for the house and had it milled.  The well in front was dug by Frank Kamie on August 7, 1919.  It is currently owned by F. L. Dunham’s son, L. G. Dunham.  Nominated to the National Register.  The significance is architecture.  [1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Greek Revival; Original Use: ...

view the listing

200 Hamner Street

200 Hamner Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: D-0958 Address: 200 Hamner Street Date: 1920-1930 Town: Diboll Block: 11 Lot: 1 Condition: Fair – Good; altered by later additions, aluminum windows. Description: 1-story; wood frame with bull-nosed and beveled wood siding; pier foundation; intersecting gable roofs with composition shingles; shed roof over porch, screened with boxed wood columns, low wall; two entry doors set at 90 degrees; windows 4/4 wood double-hung and aluminum replacement; possibly ell plan with later infill additions. Significance:  Very typical of housing in the...

view the listing

201 Paul Street, East (The Museum of East Texas)

201 Paul Street, East (The Museum of East Texas) Photographs 201 Paul Street, East (The Museum of East Texas) 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0860 Address: 201 Paul Street, East (The Museum of East Texas) Name: Old St. Cyperian’s Episcopal Church Date: 1906 Town: Lufkin Condition: Good, remodeled in 1929 Description: 2-story masonry with brick veneer; diamond-patterned slate tile gable roof; lancet diamond-paned windows; heavy timber lancet entry door flanked by lanterns; brick steps; ocular windows in gable; additions on east and north; courtyard between church and north annex has sculptured garden. Significance: Fire in 1976; church rebuilt on John Reclitt Road; building renovated and occupied by the Museum of East Texas, renovations by Lufkin Service League were on interiors and new roof. Good example of...

view the listing

000 Highway 7 – 2

000 Highway 7 Photographs 000 Highway 7 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0863 Address: 000 Highway 7  Name: Pollock Post Oftice/Barbee’s Art Studio Date: 1900 Town: Pollock Condition: Good; some alterations, windows have been changed Description: 1-story frame with rectangular plan, composition gable roof; projecting porch supported by boxed columns; porch has decorative lattice work and simple bannister, 2 entry doors open onto porch; pier and beam foundation skirted with brick lattice infill; windows are 4/4 wood double hung and replacement aluminum. Significance: Was Pollock Post Office and owned by Roy Sanders. Associated with house to...

view the listing

000 Highway 7

000 Highway 7 Photographs 000 Highway 7 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0862 Address: 000 Highway 7  Name: Sanders (Barbee Residence) Date: 1890s Town: Pollock Condition: Good; several additions to  house and some alterations Description: 1-story frame with 117 siding; irregular plan; multiple gable asphalt root inset porch adjacent to ell; porch has decorative lattice work and simple bannister, boxed columns; windows are 4/4 and 6/6 wood double hung; one newer chimney stack; pier and beam foundation; new entry door; several out building. Significance: Associated with building to east which was the post office. Owned for many years by Roy...

view the listing

1213 Lotus Lane

1213 Lotus Lane Photographs 1213 Lotus Lane 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0861 Address: 1213 Lotus Lane  Name: Harry and Robbie Mantooth Bowers Residence Date: 1928-1937 Town: Lufkin Block: J. L Quinalty, Abstract 40, Tract 3 (conrd) #0040-389-003-00-00 Architect/Builder: Shirley Simons Condition: Excellent Description: 2-story masonry with wood shingle multi-gable roof; projecting pone cochere on north facade; projecting wrap around porch on east and south facades is supported by paired boxed columns; windows are wood casements; dormers pierce the roof on two facades; rustic rough sawn random width gable infill; massed plan. Landscaping includes large oak trees and extensive ivy. Garage of similar style at rear. Significance: One of the best examples of the Tudor style designed by Shirley Simons. Robbie Mantooth was Simone wife’s sister. Robbie Mantooth was the daughter of Judge Edwin James Mantooth and Caledonia Watson. Mantooth (1852-1944) was a lawyer, born in Tennessee and moved to Lufkin, establishing the Lufkin Telephone Exchange and Lufkin National Bank. Harry T. Bowers owned and operated the Bowers Grocery in Lufkin; they had five children. The structure is nominated to the National Register. The significance is...

view the listing

420 Mantooth

420 Mantooth Photographs 420 Mantooth 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0839 Address: 420 Mantooth Date: 1930-1940 Town: Lufkin Block: 70 Lot: 6, # 3570-3189-070-006.00 Condition: Good Description: 1-story; wood frame with rough finish stucco; U-plan; intersecting gable roofs with flat deck and narrow mansard roof over porch; inset porch with arched openings and two central spiraled Tuscan columns; centered entry door; windows are 8/8, 4/4 wood double-hung; at east bays on south facade, windows are separated by spiraled pilasters, with oval arched transom light; at west bay on south facade two multipaned casement doors are flanked by spiraled columns with finial capitols and a semicircular transom light; curved stepped buttress at southwest corner of west bay; wrought iron railing on porch; exterior brick chimney on west; detached garage. Significance:  The 1928 directory lists Delmas and Jacque Newsom at Sun Mantooth; he worked at the Lufkin Coca Cola Bottling Company. The 1937 directory list the Newsoms at 420 Mantooth; he was Associate Manager of the Coca Cola Bottling Company. The different addresses can probably be attributed to a large scale address change throughout the city between 1928 and 1937, noted in the directories. The structure is a good example of a small Mediterranian Revival style residence in Lufkin. Nominated to the National Register. The significance is...

view the listing

322 Montrose

322 Montrose 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0835 Address: 322 Montrose Date: 1915-1920 Town: Lufkin Block: Denman Addition, 8 Lot: South Part of Lot 9 Condition: Fair; altered with bungalow features at porch, some windows...

view the listing

Camp Nancy/David Renfro House

Camp Nancy/David Renfro House Photographs  Camp Nancy/David Renfro House 1986 Survey Information Site No.: Z-1176 Name: Camp Nancy/David Renfro House Date: 1923 Town: Rural Zavalla/Nancy Rural Area Description: Only structures standing are a modem residence and farm complex; the site of the commissary building is said to have been located next to the current well. Significance: Site of an Angelina County Lumber Company Camp during the 1920s; Floyd Hubbard and family (Mrs. Gibson) moved there from San Augustine; company had commissary buildings, boarding house; 12′ x 12′ each for six rooms, houses for families; also had “car houses” which they could load onto railroad cars and move them to a new location; the board and batten houses were sold to people in the community; the Church of Christ building was sold to Johnson Baptist Church and is currently located on Highway 69. As early as 1928 the federal government built barracks, 20 feet wide and 18 feet long, houses for foremen and army personnel, and shops for the Civilian Conservation Corps program. Approximately 200-300 young men worked for the U. S. Forest Service from 8 am – 4 pm and were under Army command from 4 pm – 8 am. While under Army command, they wore Army issue uniforms. They planted trees, built roads and bridges, installed telephone lines, built metal observation towers, cut down unwanted timber, controlled ants and gophers, and built the Boykin Springs Recreation Area...

view the listing

2100 Tulane Drive

2100 Tulane Drive 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0680 Address: 2100 Tulane Drive Name: Dewayne Weldon Date: 1920-1940 Town: Rural Lufkin Block: Not Listed Architect/Builder: Contractor Condition: Fair; numerous...

view the listing

1607 Tulane Drive

1607 Tulane Drive Photographs 1607 Tulane Drive 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0678 Address: 1607 Tulane Drive Name: Standley Residence Date: 1921-1929 Town: Rural Lufkin Block: J. L. Quinalty, Abstract 40, Tract 98, 3.0 acres, Account No. 0040-391-098-000-00. Architect/Builder: E. Q. Standley Condition: Good Description: 1-story frame with 117 siding, composition clipped gable roof, extended rafter ends; 3/1 wood double-hung windows; projecting porch upheld by chamfered columns; pier and beam foundation; double pen frame barn with central dogtrot at rear; sheet metal roof. Significance: Good example of style and farm complex that have been surrounded by the city. The barn was built in 1921 when family moved here from Trinity County. It is same style as Standley’s father’s log barn. Family lived in old house on property until this house was constructed in 1929. Exterior siding from the older residence was reused on this house. Total cost was approximately 52,000.00. Standley was a farmer, raising hay, corn, peanuts, cotton, and truck. The 1946-1947 city directory lists E. 0. Standley as an employee at the Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company. The clipped gable bungalow and the barn are a good example of the style and a farm complex. It is nominated to the National Register. The significance is...

view the listing