101 North First Street

Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary ca 1923 ACHC-1986-Roll-29-Image-18 ACHC-1986-Roll-29-Image-19 SPLC Commissary August 2004 by Jonathan Gerland SPLC Commissary THC Marker August 2004 by Jonathan Gerland SPLC Commissary Dec. 6, 2004 by Jonathan Gerland SPLC Commissary Dec. 8, 2004 by Jonathan Gerland   101 North First Street 2015 Updated Information This structure was demolished on December 6-8, 2004 by its owner, Temple-Inland, Inc.  The History Center has provided some historic photographs of the structure as well as those taken during the demolition.  In 1980 the Texas Historical Commission erected the marker visible in several of the photographs. 101 North First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: D-0902 Address: 101 North First Street Name: Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary Date: 1923 Town: Diboll Block: Southern Pine Lumber Co., Block 4 Lot: Out Lots Condition: Good; interior has been altered. Description: 2-story; wood frame with ptd [painted] particle board or plywood siding; masonry foundation; rectangular plan with smaller extension on south side; flat roof with parapet; small clay tiled roof below parapet on front facade; gallery porch across front with flat roof, square brick columns, wrought iron railing; wood-paneled and plain wood doors; windows with obscure screening. Significance: One of the only mill town commissary stores, still at its original location.  Associated with Southern Pine Lumber Company, now Temple Eastex Corporation.  The structure was an important meeting place for Diboll residents when it was a retail facility.  Site marked...

view the listing

109/111 South First Street

109/111 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0096 Address: 109/111 South First Street Date: 1920-1930 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: South 50 feet of lots 1, 2, 3, Account #3570-388-010-001-01. Condition: Good – Fair; stucco shows some deteriorating at parapet. Description: 2-story; masonry with stucco facade; rectangular plan, 3-bay facade, central entry; flat roof, pedimented parapet with paired castellation at each corner; ornamentation at second floor are blind balconies with tile shed roof, wrought iron railing, spiral columns on brackets and blind arched windows, inset signage panel; first floor has altered aluminum frame display windows with inset double entry doors, suspended boxed aluminum canopy resting upon paired spiral Tuscan columns; transom above is closed over with stucco, some diamond-shaped tile work front and south side at alley; south wall of building has brick pilasters with multipaned ptd [painted] steel windows between at the second floor, diagonal oak flooring, large square pressed metal ceiling. Significance:  Listed as the Palace News Stand, Palace Confectionery, and Palace Theatre in the 1928 directory; by 1937 it was Mize Brothers Department Store (from Nacogdoches) and The Hobbs Shop.  Good example of Spanish Colonial Revival style.  The theatre interiors of the building were not long lived as two other theatres, the Pines next door and another on Frank St. were in competition.  Very early in its history the structure was converted to a department store and the majority of the...

view the listing