111 East Shepherd

111 East Shepherd 2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 111 East Shepherd  

view the listing

First at Laurel

First at Laurel 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0734 Address: First at Laurel Name: Coleman’s Gas Station Date: 1941 Town: Lufkin Condition: Good Description: 1-story; brick; curved plan with auto canopy; flat roof; curved with steel multipaned glass in office area at northwest corner, shopwork area has steel multipaned windows set in a curve, horizontal lines emphasized by inset banding every fifth brick course; pipe column supports under the canopy encircled by horizontal disco tapering from the top, wide metal fascia surrounds the canopy. Significance: Listed in the 1946-1947 city directory as the Certified Service Station No. 8. Previous building on site was also a Certified Service Station and Cavanaugh Garage. Good example...

view the listing

121/123 South First Street

2016 Survey Form 2016 Survey Form 121-123 South First 121/123 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0084 Address: 121/123 South First Street Name: Brown’s Shoe Fit Company Date: 1910 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: South 1/3 of lots 22, 23, and 24 Condition: Good; appears to be a vernacular Victorian style that was modernized in the 1930s. Description:  2-story; brick with stucco; rectangular plan with inset entry, 2-bay facade; flat roof parapet with two inset panels, second story windows with segmental arches, replacement aluminum windows; modern canopy and aluminum storefront; diamond-patterned glazed tile ornamentation.  [1986 Note:  Style/Type:  1930s Art Moderne Facade] Significance:  The 1928 City Directory lists I. L. Vincent Dry...

view the listing

117/119 South First Stret

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 117-119 South First 117/119 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0082 Address: 117/119 South First Street Date: 1925-1935 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: Parts of Lots 23 and 24 Condition: Good; facade has been altered. Description: 2-story; load-bearing masonry w/ stucco and modern mosaic tile; rectangular plan, 2-bay facade; flat roof, parapet with soldier course veneer, 2nd floor has a band of multipaned metal windows w/ operable awning sash, ornamental brickwork surrounds the windows; 1st floor aluminum frame storefronts with inset entries, aluminum glass entry door; suspended boxed aluminum canopy over display windows; transom above has been filled in; lower half of building has mosaic ceramic tile veneer ca. 1960s; 1930s ceramic tile geometric ornamentation on 2nd...

view the listing

112 South First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 112 South First 112 South First Street  1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0079 Address: 112 South First Street Name: Abrams Building / Rite-way Rental & Sales Date: 1911 Town: Lufkin Block: 4 Lot: 12 and north 80 feet of Lot 13, Account # 3570-388-004-012-00. Condition: Good; altered, could be older facade behind false front. Description: 2-story masonry with stucco sides; green and black glass facade with recessed entry; depending canopy; second floor covered by solid wood covering. Significance: Good example of Art Moderne first floor, however, second floor is not consistent with the original style.  The 1928 City Directory lists Harry Abram and Son (L. N.) Clothing Store.  The 1937 directory lists H. Abram and Sons.  Structure used primarily as a clothing store, later as a furniture possibly associated with the firm Canon and Parker; it is currently a furniture warehouse.  According to the Recorded Texas Historical Landmark application for Calder (Cotton) Square, Harry and Joe Abram built their new store, facing on First Street and Calder Square, ca. 1911. Could be eligible for National Register if renovated...

view the listing

113 South First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 113 South First 113 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0078 Address: 113 South First Street Name: Pines Theatre Date: 1920s Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: North half of lots 17, 18, 19, 10, [20], 21, 22, 23, 24, Account #3750-388-010-018-02. Condition: Fair Description: 2-story; masonry construction with stucco and brick veneer at first floor; rectangular plan 3-bay facade with central inset entry; facade dominated by the theatre marquee – stepped convex metal panels with neon sign reading “Pines,” flanked by large green floral panels with yellow neon tubing outline, projecting back lit panels with announcements over the entry; 2 pairs of wood double doors with square glass lights; semi-circular ticket booth with vertical convex metal sheathing; northwest corner of the building is Jo’s Beauty Salon with wood frame display window, single wood and glass entry door, aluminum canopy; secondary theatre entry on south end, inset with wood door.  The interiors of the theatre are virtually intact including the ticket booth, billing display, stage, wooden folding seats, camera, balcony, powder room, concessions area, and ceilings.  Ceiling fans have been added to the interior in the seating area. Significance: The 1908 Sanborn Fire insurance Map shows a brick structure; the 1927 map shows a 2-story brick movie theatre. The 1928 directory shows the Pines Moving Pictures, East Texas Theatres, Inc.; the 1937 listing is the same.  In 1935 Lufkin...

view the listing

103/105 South First Street

2016 Survey Information 2016 Survey Form 103-105 South First 103/105 South First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0077 Address: 103/105 South First Street Name: C. A. Pate Building (Lee’s) Date: 1924 Town: Lufkin Block: 10 Lot: North 90 feet of lots 1 and 2; Account #3570-388-010-001-02. Condition: Good; most of second floor windows boarded; storefront altered. Description: 2-story; masonry with polychrome brick veneer; rectangular plan, 3-bay facade with central entry; flat roof, parapet with tile coping; raised header and soldier course ornamentation above the second story windows, above a centered arched entry door with C. A. Pate dedication plaque with diagonal brickwork below, pedimented brickwork above a circular light above the single entry door with arched transom; the multipaned wood door is boarded; three shop storefronts at first floor: (1) corner storefront is stucco with wood frame display windows and inset double wood doors; (2) altered aluminum frame display windows with aquamarine carrara glass surround, boxed canopy above with opaque fiberglass panels, inset diagonal aluminum and glass entry door; (3) altered aluminum frame display windows with dark blue and beige carrara glass surround, inset double entry doors of glass, boxed canopy with opaque fiberglass panels. Significance:  Similar to 104 Lufkin Ave. in masonry detailing.  The 1928 City Directory lists 103 as Jennings Auto Supply, 105 as First Manes Co. Clothing, and 107 as Pines Barber Shop; the upstairs is listed as offices for C. A. Pate...

view the listing

120 North First Street

120 North First Street 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0073 Address: 120 North First Street Name: W. M. Glenn Building Date: 1924 Town: Lufkin Block: 9 Lot: South 1/2 of lots 1 & 2, Account #3570-388-009-001-02 Condition: Good – Fair Description: 2-story; load-bearing masonry with brick veneer and beige ceramic tile on front facade, stucco on sides; rectangular plan; 3-bay facade with central inset entry, side entry to upstairs on northwest corner; flat roof with parapet, pilasters extend from base beyond the parapet, central bay has a pedimented parapet with cast stone key above and flagpole; inset panels for signage in each bay, central bay has cast stone plaque with W. M. Glenn Co. 1924 on it; bank of paired windows across the front – 9/9 wood double-hung with soldier course header; first floor has large aluminum frame display windows with ceramic tile surround and apron, roll canvas awning above windows in deteriorated condition, aluminum frame double door entry with side lights and transom light; painted mural on north side, exposed brick on south alley side, 9/9 and 6/6 wood windows. Significance: The 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows a fireproof 2-story structure with radio broadcasting station on second floor.  The 1928 Directory lists W. M. Glenn Furniture Co.  An Angelina County Mechanic Lien, Volume 3, June 22, 1929, list a paving contract between Scott Shambaugh and W. M. Glenn & Co.  Possibly this was for the...

view the listing

109/111 East Shepherd Avenue

109/111 East Shepherd Avenue 1986 Survey Information Site No.: L-0070 Address: 111/109 East Shepherd Avenue Name: Corstone Sales Company Date: 1930s Town: Lufkin Block: 11 Lot: South half of lots 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24, Account #3570-388-010-019-01 Condition: Good – Fair Description: 1-story; masonry with stucco, rectangular plan, 3-bay facade; flat roof with ornate stepped parapet with horizontal band which curves and terminates in vertical arrow heads, engaged columns at each end, diamond-patterned tiles; aluminum canopy, closed transom area; east entrance is inset with double wood and glass doors, other two entry doors are aluminum storefront, black glaze tile apron below the rectangular display windows, a band of black diamond set on a green background; on interior, some of the pressed metal ceiling is intact.  Original entry doors are intact with decorative glass and wood panels. Significance:  Not listed on the 1928 or 1937 directories; in 1946 107-109 E. Shepherd was listed as Wadel-Connally Company, 111 was listed as Lufkin Paint Co.  Corstone Sales Company is owned by Jim Stone.  The company provides sales and services for restaurant equipment.  Nominated to the National Register as one of the only examples of Art Moderne architecture in the city.  The significance is in the ares of architecture and...

view the listing