101 North First Street

Contact An Agent

 

101 North First Street 2015 Updated Information

This structure was demolished on December 6-8, 2004 by its owner, Temple-Inland, Inc.  The History Center has provided some historic photographs of the structure as well as those taken during the demolition.  In 1980 the Texas Historical Commission erected the marker visible in several of the photographs.

101 North First Street 1986 Survey Information
  • Site No.: D-0902
  • Address: 101 North First Street
  • Name: Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary
  • Date: 1923
  • Town: Diboll
  • Block: Southern Pine Lumber Co., Block 4
  • Lot: Out Lots
  • Condition: Good; interior has been altered.
  • Description: 2-story; wood frame with ptd [painted] particle board or plywood siding; masonry foundation; rectangular plan with smaller extension on south side; flat roof with parapet; small clay tiled roof below parapet on front facade; gallery porch across front with flat roof, square brick columns, wrought iron railing; wood-paneled and plain wood doors; windows with obscure screening.
  • Significance: One of the only mill town commissary stores, still at its original location.  Associated with Southern Pine Lumber Company, now Temple Eastex Corporation.  The structure was an important meeting place for Diboll residents when it was a retail facility.  Site marked with a Recorded Texas History Marker[1986 Notes:  Style/Type:  Vernacular Commercial; Original Use:  Commissary Store; Present Use:  Storage]